March 28, 2024, 06:21:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: overall questino about how things are connected in chemistry  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Whizzies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello all people from this beautiful forum,

I have a question and it is more about me understanding overall how chemistry is hold together on highschool.

I've read the two atoms can come together and have a covalent binding, when their energy increases  you get an ionic state.

Ions make up the salts. You have certain salts that are able to donate or get an proton those are called the acids and bases.

But what are the redox reactions? I know they have to do with electrons.... Where does that relate to?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: overall questino about how things are connected in chemistry
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »
For example two neutral elements react each other and form a new compound.

Hydrogen and oxygen gives water. This is resulting of an redoxreaction. Hydrogen gets oxidised by spending a electron and oxygen gets reducedby receiving two electrons.

Offline Whizzies

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:08:44 AM »
For example two neutral elements react each other and form a new compound.

Hydrogen and oxygen gives water. This is resulting of an redoxreaction. Hydrogen gets oxidised by spending a electron and oxygen gets reducedby receiving two electrons.

did not expect this kind of answer, because now I am totally lost. On our school we learn about salts, redox, acid and bases and molecules. The text book however does not relate these topics in one coherent thought. It just says well salts exist out of ions and have the properties... and thats a salt! Acids have the property to donate H3O+ and thats that! There are very few connections made and that frustrates me a lot because I learn by laying connections.

Like for example we did never learn about the electron configuration, dunno why? But the electron configuration explains why ions exist and how ions are formed. Because I needed that essential information, later in the study I had an ''eureka'' moment because I learned something. Because of the very few connection made in chemistry I just think its a bit dull... while I really like chemistry.

Offline Ben Bob2

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemist
    • Ben's Chemistry Page
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:49:46 AM »
Hi,
As you pointed out, there are several types of chemical bond:
  • Covalent
  • ionic
  • metallic

And then there are several types of reactions possible between these types of bonded compounds:
  • Synthesis
  • analysis
  • replacement

Redox reactions, as @Hunter pointed out, are when the oxidation state changes for atoms in a reaction.
I hope that helps ;)

Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me

2014 Eisenhower Fellow
2015 GRO Fellow

Offline Whizzies

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:28:38 AM »
Hi,
As you pointed out, there are several types of chemical bond:
  • Covalent
  • ionic
  • metallic

And then there are several types of reactions possible between these types of bonded compounds:
  • Synthesis
  • analysis
  • replacement

Redox reactions, as @Hunter pointed out, are when the oxidation state changes for atoms in a reaction.
I hope that helps ;)

Hé I found a book Zumdahl chemistry, and I read just now, that you have covalent bindings and in a reactions the electrons change during it. It also explains what Hunter2 said.

I learned that redox is a dance of electrons, like in batteries and not so much in ''normal reactions'' like creating water. What is the difference I am wondering? Why isn't this taught on my school :O It makes so much more sense now.

Offline Ben Bob2

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemist
    • Ben's Chemistry Page
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
Quote from: Whizzies
I learned that redox is a dance of electrons, like in batteries and not so much in ''normal reactions'' like creating water. What is the difference I am wondering?

That depends on what a “normal reaction” is…While batteries are indeed a good example of the redox reaction, there are many others, such as combustion of hydrocarbons to make fire, and rust forming on nails, that are also redox.

Be sure to look up the set of rules for determining oxidation states for atoms within a molecule. Once you do that, you can always know if a reaction is redox because these numbers will be different on either side of the reaction equation.
Quote from: Whizzies
Hé I found a book Zumdahl chemistry. […] Why isn't this taught on my school :O It makes so much more sense now.”
You’re on the right track; keep studying it :)

Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me

2014 Eisenhower Fellow
2015 GRO Fellow

Sponsored Links