April 27, 2024, 12:06:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Steer me in the right direction about advanced miscibility?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline zanza

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello, I have learned the concept of miscibility with simple 2 substances, and even found a guide about online with solvent polarities and miscibility chart

http://www.chemical-ecology.net/java/solvents.htm

So, for example, Acetone and Hexane are miscible, so they "mix."  Methanol and Hexane are immiscible, so they form 2 layers.

However my question is about more advanced cases, such as mixing say in equal parts, Acetone:Hexane:Methanol  what will the results be?  Acetone is miscible with both Hexane and Methanol so I not sure what the result should be?  If anyone could steer me in the right direction on this or give any input I would be very appreciative!  Thank you

Offline quantumnumber

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Steer me in the right direction about advanced miscibility?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
I would say this "mixture" won't "mix". I mean, miscibility is not about chemical reactions, so the structural characteristics that make two substances not been miscible are still there anyway.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »
Would an emulsion be possible?

Offline zanza

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »
Would an emulsion be possible?
I don't know the answer :)  was hoping someone else does.  So, to simply the question

A = Hexane
B = Acetone
C = Water
A <-> miscible with B
B <-> miscible with C
A not miscible with C

what happens when all 3 mix?  i guess i could try to setup an experiment I'm not sure if I have all the ingredients though..

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:16:05 AM »
This is quite difficult to predict, as the final effect depends on the intermolecular forces and their interplay. My bet is that you have to either find literature information on such a system behavior, or test it experimentally.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:57:00 AM »
This is quite difficult to predict, as the final effect depends on the intermolecular forces and their interplay. My bet is that you have to either find literature information on such a system behavior, or test it experimentally.

Exactly. Tertiary phase diagrams is something to look for.

Incidentally some prediction is possible from binary experiments. Look up activity coefficients. Immiscibility is generally a non ideality of solutions.

Sponsored Links