April 19, 2024, 07:13:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Corrosion Inhibitor  (Read 2675 times)

Offline chrystass

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Corrosion Inhibitor
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »
What chemicals make up a corrosion inhibitor recipe?
Isopropanol
Methanol
Formic Acid
Acetaldehyde
These are what I have so far.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Corrosion Inhibitor
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:02:56 AM »
We really need more context to give you a remotely useful answer.  You need to tell us a little bit about what metal you want to protect, and in what environment.  Offhand, nothing in your list seems useful for protecting iron or steel, from ordinary environmental conditions, and acid will likely cause corrosion.  I don't see any mechanism by which acetaldehyde would be much better than say, petroleum oil.  I'm left wondering where you came up with this list.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline chrystass

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »
I am wanting to come up with a recipe blend to protect iron pipes. (joints) and inhibiting corrosion downhole with our eqipment. This blend will be used in drilling

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
What is typically used in the drilling industry, for pipes.  Are there additives in the drilling mud, or do the just make the pipes strong enough to survive a little bit of rusting?  Again, nothing in your list seems to me like it would work, so where did you come up with these particular ingredients.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:44:18 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »
I worked very shortly on downhole equipment, and their corrosion constraints were brutal, driving them to duplex steel (22Cr-5Ni). Not that the mud or soil has a very aggressive composition, nor even the oil and gas (H2S is about the worse constituent) but at 200°C just plain water corrodes steel, and the cooling mud abrades protective layers.

Normal corrosion inhibitors for steel are hydrocarbons like oil, but these must be too polluting for drilling before the hole is cemented.

Are you really absolutely certain you desire the volatile methanol and isopropanol at high temperature? When the drilling mud emerges hot from the hole you'd get serious problems! If something evaporates on the way up, it reduces the hydrostatic pressure, so the circulating mud accelerates on it way up, the process diverges, and boom - your borehole detonates at the surface, then possibly catches fire.

Bore holes have sensors to detect any gas expanding within the hydrostatic column, so that the team has some seconds to evacuate, abandon all hardware and save the lifes. I doubt someone would willingly add volatile components there.

In addition, no compound you suggest is a reknown corrosion inhibitor. Acids certainly not, and would alcohols behave really better than water at 200°C? When water can't be avoided, normal people look at phosphates to slow down steel corrosion. Phosphates are not very aggressive to the environment - they only favour some vegetals too much. Provided you find some phosphate that fits the other constraints of a borehole, this might be a direction.

Sponsored Links