March 28, 2024, 08:03:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining solvent/thinner or base oil in diesel  (Read 1908 times)

Offline petroteks

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determining solvent/thinner or base oil in diesel
« on: August 02, 2014, 03:08:38 AM »
Hi ,
The problem: Blending base oil, hydraulic oil any kind of lubrication oil with solvent/thinner and using it in coaches and trucks
the result: because of thinners and solvents buses and trucks burn down.
Question: how can we determine the presence of thinner/solvent or base/lub. oil in a fluid.
BR

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Determining solvent/thinner or base oil in diesel
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »
This has come up before, a similar question asked just this way: A novice need to know if there are adulterants in diesel fuel.  There are a number of analytical procedures that can be done by an analytical laboratory specializing in fuel analysis.  But there's nothing a truck depot or home user can execute. 

You really will have to be as specific as possible about your needs, your skills, your equipment and what you're looking for.  Give us an example:  how have you ever analyzed anything?  I've worked for a number of QC laboratories, but I've never taken a small sample of automotive gasoline I was purchasing into my pharmaceutical lab and checked "Is the really octane 87? Because if I get 85 or less, I'm writing a letter."
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline petroteks

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Determining solvent/thinner or base oil in diesel
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »
Hi, I know this test can be done in lab like sulphur content, ignition, flash point, cloud point etc. also there are some portable FITR spectrum devices which analys the diesel/gasoline based on heavy calibration. My question is ; is there any kit which can give some idea instantly about presence of the above I mention like litmus paper, or pregnancy test. For example there are some tests which give you idea about presence of biodiesel in your diesel from the acid number or presence of water in your diesel. no need to analys the content strictly

Sponsored Links