April 25, 2024, 11:12:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: First post, heat transfer question  (Read 5799 times)

Jewish_Intent

First post, heat transfer question
« on: March 24, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
Hi everybody. This is my first post and i am not posative what forum category this question would fit into, but this one seemed right so here it goes. I am attempting to seperate water from other liquids. The way i am going about doing it is by freezeing the water, and pouring out the other liquids before they freeze since water will freeze first. What i am looking for is an equation that will solve the following scenario:

I have 2 cups of water at 70 degrees f
My freezer is at a constant 30 degrees

How long will it take to freeze the water under these conditions?

I should probably note that the liquids in question are going to be beer, energy drinks, and any other drinks i decide to mess around with.  I am not looking for a 100% accurate time, i just will be putting unopened cans into the freezer and would like to get to them after the water portion freezes but before the rest does and makes the can explode.

if any other info is needed i will post what i can, and thanks in advance for any help i get.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 03:59:05 PM by Jewish_Intent »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:First post, heat transfer question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 04:14:45 PM »
You better check it experimentally. No matter how much additional data you will give calculations will be long and results dubious.

Such real life things are incredibly hard to calculate. You will need information on the drink composition, viscosity, glass thickness and shape, freezer volume and shape and more. You will check it much faster with stopwatch :)

Not to mention the fact that beer will probably never freeze at 30 F.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:16:01 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Jewish_Intent

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:25:17 PM »
I was kinda expecting that type of an answer, o well. I guess i will just have to be a bit more watchful when doing this so i don't explode any cans.  I know beer wont freeze at that temp, which is kinda the point 8-). I am seperating out the water from the alchohol in an effort to get about a shot glass full of 'beer - water', as well as a few other 'drinks-water' such as redbull, which i accidently did the other night but wasn't paying attention to the time it was in the freezer, and other alchoholic drinks. Chemistry is so fun :drunk:

Offline plu

• Mole Snacks: +15/-7
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »
Check out "Newton's Law of Cooling" for some rough theoretical estimates.  Cheers!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: First post, heat transfer question
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:39:03 PM »
You need heat transfer correlations for this.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 07:49:28 AM »
Will this actually work? I would have thought that freezing a solution will give you just that - a frozen solution - with the solute molecules will be trapped in the ice lattice. Isn't that why you get depression of freezing point with respect to the pure solvent?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 09:29:26 AM »
The correlations are specific to the materials involved in the process, such as the material used to make the container, and whether the refrigerator employ forced convection to provide cooling in the freezer. They allow you to calculate the value of the heat transfer coefficient.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links