April 26, 2024, 10:10:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Are Transition Metal Oxides Ionic or Polar Covalent?  (Read 9826 times)

Offline caters

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
Are Transition Metal Oxides Ionic or Polar Covalent?
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
Fe has an electronegativity of 1.83 and O has an electronegativity of 3.44.

I calculated the electronegativity difference and it is 1.61.

This is very close to the >= 1.7 for an ionic bond. Is Iron oxide ionic?

Sc has an electronegativity of 1.36 so Scandium oxide has an electronegativity difference of 2.08. Is this in fact Sc^2+ O^2-(I might be wrong on the positive charge and the negative charge) instead of ScO3?

Offline unsu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
Re: Are Transition Metal Oxides Ionic or Polar Covalent?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
Any heteronuclear bond has partially ionic and partially covalent character.
You can't say the bond is 100% covalent just because the EN difference is below 1.7 and after 1.7 it suddenly becomes ionic. The question is how the electron density is distributed in a molecule.

Is this in fact Sc^2+ O^2-
What fact?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
It appears that scandium oxide forms from scandium in the +3 oxidation state.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandium_oxide  It likewise has a great deal of long range order, making it a covalent compound.  the reactions it undergoes would seem to support this.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline caters

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
lots of metal oxides are of this form: A^x+ O^2-(where A is a metal and x is the magnitude of the positive charge).

This is because metals often want to form ionic bonds, even with elements that prefer covalent such as oxygen.

Lots of metal hydrides are of this form: A^x+ H-

and likewise quite a few metal carbides are of this form: A^x+ C^4-
and lots of metal halides are of this form: A^x+ X-(the lowercase x is the magnitude of the positive charge whereas the uppercase x represents a halogen)

Now except for the halogens which really want to form either extremely polar covalent bonds(like HF) or ionic bonds(like Na+ Cl-) and the metals which really want to form ionic bonds with other elements the rest prefer covalent bonds or no bonds(no bonds as in like neon for example or covalent bonds like H2O or CH4 and occasionally things like XeF6 and HeH(helium hydride))

However because of how metals behave a lot of metal compounds are ionic whether they are carbides, oxides, hydrides, halides, or other compounds.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
lots of metal oxides are of this form: A^x+ O^2-(where A is a metal and x is the magnitude of the positive charge).

By definition metal oxides are composed of metal and oxygen, so there is nothing surprising in the fact they are made of metal and oxygen. Second, your attempt at writing the general formula is completely off, as in most cases it doesn't yield neutral molecule.

This is just the beginning, rest of your post is not better.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline caters

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
most metal oxides are ionic and so are most metal hydrides, carbides, halides and lots of other compounds with metals. Very few comparatively are covalent.

A^x+ O^2- is correct for metal oxides because if you look at the structure of an individual metal oxide crystal you will see at the atomic level metal cations and oxide anions(which is what the O^2- is).

If you look at the structure of a metal hydride you will see metal cations and hydride anions(H-).

If you look at the structure of metal carbides, for quite a few you will see metal cations and carbide anions(C^4-).

For metal halides if you look at their crystal structure you will see metal cations and halide anions(you know, F-, Cl-, Br-, I-, As-).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:22:25 AM »
You are not interested in learning, you are interested in repeating your nonsense.

unsu already told you everything that needed to be told, as is typical of many your threads you simply ignored it.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links