March 29, 2024, 01:19:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Benzoylecgonine - Do Hospitals Use It?  (Read 2766 times)

Offline smoothone1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Benzoylecgonine - Do Hospitals Use It?
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
I have a client that has taken to urine test that his urine was heavily diluted (creatinine levels).  The test came back positive for benzoylecgonine which I am told is a metabolite of cocaine.  The client told me no way have I ever used cocaine.  I waited several weeks, about 12 and had him take another test which again came back with diluted urine and benzoylecgonine.  After speaking with him he told me both times prior to the test he had been to the emergency room for sinus issues and the emergency room numbed his nose and they must have used cocaine to do this.  My question is, do emergency rooms use what he is calling liquid cocaine to numb the inside of your nose to do nose scopes?  The 1st test was done 5 days after the emergency room visit and the 2nd test was done 2 days after the emergency room visit.  Both of the drug test were scheduled and I find it unusual that he went to the emergency room prior to both visits.  I spoke to an MDO and they told me if he had been to the emergency room for nasal issues then the client could be telling the truth.  Sounds sketchy to me.  Any thoughts?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Benzoylecgonine - Do Hospitals Use It?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:10:50 AM »
Wikipedia (put your favorite disclaimers here) claims cocaine is being used in some nasal procedures, so it doesn't look completely off. At the same time it can be a known excuse.

I guess it should be possible to check in the ER records if the patient was there?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:26:33 AM »
What were the levels of said metabolite? From wikipedia it seems that if used as nasal anesthetic the levels should be very low . It could be coincidence, but it may be not. Maybe try 3rd (ie. come tommorow) test ?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »
There was an earlier thread here:  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=2456.0

Sponsored Links