April 26, 2024, 05:01:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating Iron and copper oxides and hydroxides in oxygenated blood over time  (Read 2153 times)

Offline caters

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
during the last few days of my period the bleeding is very light and the blood starts off with an iron oxide colour and then slowly oxidizes to a bluish green color like copper oxide.

I am interested in knowing why this happens and so I figured this:

I could take a sample of oxygenated blood. I could then somehow calculate the amounts of Iron(II) oxide, Iron(III) oxide, Iron(II, III) oxide, Copper(II) oxide, Iron(II) hydroxide, Iron(III) hydroxide, Iron(II, III) hydroxide, and Copper(II) hydroxide over time and look at the blood to see if that corresponds with a bright red color, a dark red color, an iron oxide color, or a copper oxide color and predict the reactions that happen with Iron and Copper.

The question is, How would I be able to do this?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
If you have enough copper in your blood to make it bluish green, you are long dead.

As you seem to be alive an obvious conclusion is that your idea of what is responsible for observed colors is wrong.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
caters:, I have given you your first +1 snack for this posting.  This is freaking awesome.  You can't get sci-fi like this for free anywhere else.  Don't listen to the negativity and just go with this story wherever it takes you.  Even if it only ends up internet published, its still impressive.

No seriously, humans don't produce significant amounts of copper compounds in their blood.  If you haven't made up the colors, then you're likely looking at the blue gel used as an absorbent in sanitary napkins.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline caters

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
Even though my blood has trace amounts of copper, If I am using some type of machine to graph the amount of Iron oxides and hydroxides over time(in a pure O2 atmosphere so that bacteria wouldn't be causing color changes), that same machine might detect some copper and copper oxides and hydroxides.

Sponsored Links