April 19, 2024, 12:47:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemist in pharmaceutical industry?  (Read 7971 times)

Offline pharmasjo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemist in pharmaceutical industry?
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Now Ive managed to find pharmaceutical industry firm job, they told me first of all it will be 1 month trial.
I dont know what kind of laboratory work that i will do or learn.
But I have to know which things that I should pay attention to it in 1 month trial work period.

What are the work tasks and working environment in pharma labs?
Which things can I learn before entering to that job?
I need help from pharmaceutical industry chemists or technicians. What are the hardest part of them?

What are the lab. equipments and analyse or process tasks of pharma laboratories? Im not good at using my hands in the jobs which needs flexible in manual dexterity.

What are the work-time hours of pharma companies? They wanted lots of hospital tests before joining to that job, this means it will be more risky work aura with chemical inhalation and risky work tasks. Therefore it must be short work times in a routine laboratory days. Also it must be holiday in the weekends. Am I true or wrong?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Chemist in pharmaceutical industry?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
Why don't you ask them? They will know better than anyone here. It depends on the company.

You should have asked these questions at the interview!
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline pharmasjo

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
Why don't you ask them? They will know better than anyone here. It depends on the company.

You should have asked these questions at the interview!

True but I guess they will not tell all of the disadvantages of those kind of job. Also they accepted me and interview stage has already passed out. On the other hand there is no alternative job as like as this. So I must accept it in whatever conditions they serve. But I need to know infos from experienced people in this forum.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:26:40 AM »
I may be a bit cynical here, but all the hospital tests are not meant for your protection, but theirs. To avoid later claims of possible industrial illness. If you work there for a long time, as I did, this happens yearly, of more frequently, depending upon where you work.
You don't say where you will be working, I mean in which departments, so it is difficult to say what you will be doing.
If it's not an office environment you may be exposed to some pretty potent pharmacologically active materials. So paying attention to safety and the proper use of the equipment is vital.

Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
Briefly, this "one month trial period" is just a common company policy for a lot of places these days.  They are simply leaving it open to fire you, without cause or explanation, at any time in the first month.  If it turns out you're woefully unqualified, or simply to difficult too work with, or they find someone more qualified, they want a simple out of having to pay you.  That's mostly what this trial means.

Now you also have to distinguish yourself during this first month, with hard work and knowledge.  You should also take the initiative to let them know -- you're also evaluating them and this position during this month.  Jobs may be scarce, but you'll only want to stay if the position is really good for you.

Now, some point by point insights:

What are the work tasks and working environment in pharma labs?

Now, even if you didn't ask, they should have told you something about your tasks.  Unless this is a completely entry-level straight of out college position.  In which case, it wouldn't shock me to find that you're doing clerical work (entering data, checking reports, filing, yes, in a lab while wearing a lab coat) or buffer preparation and waste dumping.  They usually give the newest person these sorts of tasks, so the more experienced people can perform other, more complicated tasks.  You'll be trained on more advanced tasks as time permits and as their workload demands.  Or I could be completely wrong, and they train you on specific advanced laboratory tasks immediately.  Or if you have special skills, you may be called upon to start them immediately.

Working environment is such a general question, that I'll ask you to be more specific, unless I have to write another couple of paragraphs full of qualifying statements like that last one.

Which things can I learn before entering to that job?

You can learn anything you set your mind to.  What you have to learn might have been worthwhile to ask.  Try to think about what your interviewer talked about.  Assume that want more of that.

I need help from pharmaceutical industry chemists or technicians. What are the hardest part of them?

Most days, my hardest part is my head, inside and outside.  Ask anybody.  You might want to work on sentence structure and diction.

What are the lab. equipments and analyse or process tasks of pharma laboratories? Im not good at using my hands in the jobs which needs flexible in manual dexterity.

Umm... I guess you'll find out later what your tasks are.  Maybe you could give us the jist of the position's description.

What are the work-time hours of pharma companies?

Varies.  Its worthwhile coming in early to setup experiments, check the instrument function, prepare reagents before most people come in.  It also worth staying late when something odd happens and the test has to be re-done.  Its sometime necessary to do both -- which is why some professionals are exempt workers.  That is, they paid on salary, and are exempt from laws requiring overtime pay.  Theoretically, such people have time off whenever their work is done, with pay.  That rarely happens.

They wanted lots of hospital tests before joining to that job, this means it will be more risky work aura with chemical inhalation and risky work tasks.

Good.  They have established a baseline your your health, if you're exposed to something that causes chronic damage, it will be indicated.  Keep up with those checks.

Therefore it must be short work times in a routine laboratory days. Also it must be holiday in the weekends. Am I true or wrong?

I don't see how your conclusion follows logically from your previous statement.  Also, no.  Also -- LOL, no.  ;D  Although weekends are generally off, it gets expensive maintaining an entire facility, all the time.  It does happen though.  Usually, people work 5 days.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline pharmasjo

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
I may be a bit cynical here, but all the hospital tests are not meant for your protection, but theirs. To avoid later claims of possible industrial illness. If you work there for a long time, as I did, this happens yearly, of more frequently, depending upon where you work.
You don't say where you will be working, I mean in which departments, so it is difficult to say what you will be doing.
If it's not an office environment you may be exposed to some pretty potent pharmacologically active materials. So paying attention to safety and the proper use of the equipment is vital.

I guess i will work in routine quality control analysis lab as an entry level analyst. But I dont know which tasks that i will do. I need to learn at least by reading from this forum experienced members..

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
Proper and efficient quality control is vital to chemical development and production. They operate with SOPs, standard operating procedures. So I guess the first weeks may be concerned with becoming familiar with them.
In the beginning you may well be given admin. tasks, booking in samples, recording results, and so on. The environment is cGMP, therefore very strict protocols need to be followed.
So pay attention to what you are told and do not be afraid to ask questions. People will be willing to assist you.

My Research History

Offline pharmasjo

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »
thanks for the reply,
So what are the disadvantages and advantages of laboratory works that you saw when compared to another jobs?

*MOD Edit: remove monster quote*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:15:10 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
thanks for the reply,
So what are the disadvantages and advantages of laboratory works that you saw when compared to another jobs?

Hard to follow what you mean here.  Or how you can be sure I'd have a frame of reference.  Or how you could believe it matters now.  Or that everyone would have the same opinion.

Offline pharmasjo

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »
thanks for the reply,

Hard to follow what you mean here.  Or how you can be sure I'd have a frame of reference.  Or how you could believe it matters now.  Or that everyone would have the same opinion.

My first day has already passed out in the firm. So, they showed some equipments / machines like spectrometer, dissolution machine, thin layer crom. , UV- VIS etc., I was in quality control lab. and in raw material analysis section. There were lots of tubes, machines, computers over there. Also lots of product samples. So I want to know how can I improve myself in this area with which extras? It (the lab.) has also procedures for analysing . If I make a mistake in the future what would you suggest me to overcome from it?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »
Learn to use the machines, by watching and asking questions. If you make a mistake, tell your supervisor. Don't worry everyone has to learn.
Good luck.
My Research History

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
There should be plenty of things for you to read, SOP's -- that's standard operating procedures, there will be one written for everything you do.  Its very rare in industry for people to use the equipment manuals, or just go by their knowledge.

If you're in QC for raw materials, you'll want to familiarize yourself with the Pharmacopeia.  Here in the US, we use the USP, and some other nations use the USP as well, but there are others -- EP for European Union, BP for British Commonwealth nations, JP for Japan, etc.  You don't have to read them all, just the one pertinent for you.  Old versions are available online, the current one you'd ave to pay for.  But tests often don't change much from year to year.  For example, here's the USP Monograph for salicylic acid: http://www.pharmacopeia.cn/v29240/usp29nf24s0_m74300.html  Hyperlinks link to the methods for performing tests.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:59:19 AM by Arkcon »

Offline pharmasjo

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Yes I saw SOP's. I believe I will learn lots of things in the future and also much more of it. But my other major weakness is harmony with other lab. co-workers. My social ability is not good. I dont like blank talking . I also dont like talking, I spend lots of years in front of my computer since 2000. So my human relations doesnt improved. So other lab. persons pointed out much more of this. I cant get compliance with human relations I can just focus on my duty.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
Briefly, there's room for all sorts of personalities in the workplace.  You can do your own thing, and avoid chit-chat if you want to.  Be sure you're able to ask people questions, and able to answer their questions regarding what you've observed, and what specialty information you may have.  And it may be worth saying, don't let your personal opinion on how a lab should be run, poison your mind against other people you work with.  At least not until you're the lab manager.

Offline pharmasjo

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
Briefly, there's room for all sorts of personalities in the workplace.  You can do your own thing, and avoid chit-chat if you want to.  Be sure you're able to ask people questions, and able to answer their questions regarding what you've observed, and what specialty information you may have.  And it may be worth saying, don't let your personal opinion on how a lab should be run, poison your mind against other people you work with.  At least not until you're the lab manager.

Yeah you are right I can do my own personality. But laboratory environments are overly different than other jobs environments. So people in the lab.'s are more friendly with each other. Less fighting , more sweetness and respect. I believe if I cant join their friendly aura then I cant get accordance in that job. I also realized that laboratory jobs cant earn much. Because job responsibility is dividing into all of lab. personel. Plus you cant take over expensive machines as like as chemical engineers do. Chem Engineers who works on the plant scale earn much more than that. So you cant pay your housing payments while holding your chemistry degree job.

Sponsored Links