April 24, 2024, 04:58:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Understanding English  (Read 2501 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Understanding English
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »
I found this bit in an Engineering Code that I was a bit confused in interpreting:

"In case of vessel without insulation or refrigeration,the maximum working temperature shall be considered as 50° C"

So if I have a vessel with just insulation, must I still consider temperature as 50 C?

i.e. In other words, to get a relaxation from being forced to use 50 C as the design working temperature does one both insulation and refrigeration? Or would any one be sufficient for a relaxation?

Offline rwiew

• Mole Snacks: +10/-6
  • MChem, PhD Researcher in Chemical Biology
Re: Understanding English
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »
Sounds like you need one of the two, so insulation is enough. I have no idea what this is about and take no responsibility for harm to anyone operating this vessel of course. :)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
Sounds like you need one of the two, so insulation is enough. I have no idea what this is about and take no responsibility for harm to anyone operating this vessel of course. :)

Thanks! And of course. I take no responsibility either. ;) That's for a PE. I'm only doing the conceptual design here.

As to what this is about: Whether storage tank falls under a certain section of Code. That depends on how high the vapor pressure is. The vapor pressure varies with temperature. This paragraph is ruling on what temperature to use.

Offline rwiew

• Mole Snacks: +10/-6
  • MChem, PhD Researcher in Chemical Biology
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
Ok, I see, all is safe then. :)

Sponsored Links