March 28, 2024, 07:55:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium metabisulfite or sodium bisulfite?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline atomsrus

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium metabisulfite or sodium bisulfite?
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:58:54 AM »
I have some white powder.
I'm sure it is either sodium metabisulfite ( Na2S2O5 ) or sodium bisulfite ( NaHSO3 ).
I think there's been a mix up due to the former chemical also being known as sodium disulfite and someone may have confused the "di-" with the "bi-".
Can anyone suggest a simple/easy way to determine if the white powder is "SM" or "SB"?
I don't have any fancy lab equipment, but I may be able to ask a local university to help. 
Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Sodium metabisulfite or sodium bisulfite?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:05:36 AM »
I would try using iodometry to determine molar mass of the solid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline atomsrus

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 02:16:19 AM »
Thanks Borek. I'm not sure if your use of the word "try" means the technique may not work, or I may not do it correctly. Probably the latter would be true because I am not a chemist. Let's suppose I can recruit help from chemists with fancy lab machines - would they be able to identify the powder easily or not and which machine would do the job?
Thanks.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:30:51 AM »
Na2S2O5 in water converts practically to NaHSO3 then slowly evolves SO2, especially on heating. After prolonged warming the pH of solution becomes higher.

Na2S2O5 + H2O = 2NaHSO3
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:07:12 AM »
Thanks Borek. I'm not sure if your use of the word "try" means the technique may not work

It means I am not 100% it will work as expected - while I see no reason why it should not work, chemistry is full of surprises and traps.

Let's suppose I can recruit help from chemists with fancy lab machines - would they be able to identify the powder easily or not and which machine would do the job?

No fancy machines required, just a titration equipment (browse titration.info for details). Difficulty level - high school chemistry course.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
If you want "fancy" try feeding power to one of the automated Sulfur content analyzers. They spit out a ppm / % Sulfur value for you.

You'd have to assume there isn't any crap / filler.

A bit like using a cannon on a mouse.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
They do have different properties.  Sodium metabisulfite releases SO2, with its sharp odor, when gently heated or mixed with dilute acid.  IIRC, sodium bisulfite is a little more resistant to decomposition, and doesn't release SO2.  The sodium metabisulfite I have, for home winemaking, is over powering in odor just by opening the bottle.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline atomsrus

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:54:09 PM »
Thanks everyone. Interesting. This stuff I have does smell of SO2 but perhaps that could be because it has been exposed to humid air? I read that sodium bisulfite releases SO2 when mixed with water.

By the way, my interest in using this powder, which I hope is sodium metabisulfite, is to rot tree stumps. As you can read at wiki: "Concentrated sodium metabisulfite can be used to remove tree stumps. Some brands contain 98% sodium metabisulfite, and cause degradation of lignin in the stumps, facilitating removal.". Do you know if sodium bisulfite might give similar results?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links