April 19, 2024, 08:18:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: some general questions  (Read 3995 times)

Offline phann

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
some general questions
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:15:32 PM »
Hey so I've just gotten back into school and i've unfortunately forgotten many concepts learned in regular Chemistry. This year i'm taking AP Chemistry and I plan to work as hard as I can.

Anyways here's a question I need help with
Find the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an ion of aluminum (Al^3+) with a mass number of 30.

How does the 3+ charge affect the subatomic structure?

Also how do I know what elements have multiple variations? (II),(III) <--- And does this refer to the charge?

Thanks

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: some general questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:14 AM »
Mass number is sum of protons + sum of neutrons

The atomic number (place in the PSE where the element you find) gives the number of proton and also of electron.

In case of an ion electron less if positive and electron higher if negative as the neutral atom.

Now you can calculate.

Offline Sweetmormon

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:19:09 AM »
About the (I) (II) (III)
I think those refer to the different oxidation states of a transition metal, for example
Copper can sometimes give 2 electrons to the Oxygen to form Cu2O thus being called Copper(II) Oxide
But Copper(I) will only give one electron to Oxygen making an entirely different compund Copper(I) Oxide.
One is red and one is black
Hope this helps

Offline Hunter2

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 04:25:33 AM »
About the (I) (II) (III)
I think those refer to the different oxidation states of a transition metal, for example
Copper can sometimes give 2 electrons to the Oxygen to form Cu2O thus being called Copper(II) Oxide

Its opposite Cu2O is copper-I-oxide
and CuO is copper-II-oxide. Oxygen receives 2 electrons.

Offline deeko

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »

Also how do I know what elements have multiple variations? (II),(III) <--- And does this refer to the charge?

Thanks

I guess you just need to memories them

Offline Hunter2

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »
Correct, some thing has to be learned like others in life. The transitionmetalls have all more oxidation states.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:47:52 AM by Hunter2 »

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:46:29 AM »
Hey so I've just gotten back into school and i've unfortunately forgotten many concepts learned in regular Chemistry. This year i'm taking AP Chemistry and I plan to work as hard as I can.

Anyways here's a question I need help with
Find the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an ion of aluminum (Al^3+) with a mass number of 30.

How does the 3+ charge affect the subatomic structure?

Thanks
d -block(transition metals) and f- (inner transition metals)block elements are the one which show multiple oxidation numbers.Oxidation number is the  charge on the atom.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »

Thanks

I guess you just need to memories them

Indeed but there are some similarities or rules so you can predict or at least partialy if the oxidation state is stable or not. Usualy the most stable oxidation state is the one with full, half -filled or empty d shell. For example, if we compare Mn2+ and Fe2+, we could easily tell that Mn2+ is more stable than Fe2+ because the d5 configuration of Mn is more stable than d6 configuration of Fe so Fe gets quite easily oxidized to Fe3+ with more stable d5 configuration.
You can aply this reasoning to most of the d elements. Honestly, since you are (I suppose) still at high school, there are better things to learn than all possible oxidation states of all transition metals. Usualy, when you buy a periodic table it has the most common oxidation states noted

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
Yes stability of the oxidation numbers and inert pair effect also helps in understanding various oxidation numbers .Like Pb can show +2 and +4 oxidation numbers. This can be understood on the basis of inert pair effect and stability of electronic configurations.

Sponsored Links