April 25, 2024, 05:53:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making 4-Vinylphenyl acetate from vinylbenzene  (Read 4883 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Making 4-Vinylphenyl acetate from vinylbenzene
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
Are there any routes to making (P) CC(=O)Oc1ccc(C=C)cc1 starting from (R) c1ccccc1C=C?

The one route I found in patents to make (P) was starting at phenol   

c1ccccc1O :rarrow: CC(=O)c1ccc(O)cc1   :rarrow:  CC(O)c1ccc(O)cc1  :rarrow: CC(=O)Oc1ccc(C=C)cc1

Noting the obvious similarities of P to R (and having a commercial interest in starting from P) I was wondering if there were any routes worth exploring starting from R?

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Making 4-Vinylphenyl acetate from vinylbenzene
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:07:18 AM »
First convert vinyl group to electron donating group.Then due to acetylation  which will go to para position.

Offline darkdevil

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
I would start with the dirt cheap 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde --(acetylation)-->  4-Acetoxybenzaldehyde --(Wittig)--> Your Product

It is almost immposible or tedious to start with styrene. Styrene is considerably unstable. Any changes in chemical environment (eg. acid, base, light or oxygen) may polymerize the vinyl group. I am working on polymer and I usually make the vinyl group in the last step of my syntheses. Hope it helps :)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:04:58 PM »
I would start with the dirt cheap 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde --(acetylation)-->  4-Acetoxybenzaldehyde --(Wittig)--> Your Product

It is almost immposible or tedious to start with styrene. Styrene is considerably unstable. Any changes in chemical environment (eg. acid, base, light or oxygen) may polymerize the vinyl group. I am working on polymer and I usually make the vinyl group in the last step of my syntheses. Hope it helps :)

Thanks! I will think about that.

Dirt cheap is relative. 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde looks like 5 to 6 times as expensive as styrene.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:19:48 AM »
How about  a Diels-Alder reaction between
C=C(OC(C)=O)C=C
and
C#CC=C

Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:16 AM »
Thanks @disco. Are either / both of those common feedstocks?

Looked exotic starting points to me. Especially for a commercial route.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
Sorry but I've no idea about their availability.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »

Dirt cheap is relative. 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde looks like 5 to 6 times as expensive as styrene.

I understand the nature of the challenge. Given the nature of seeking a more economical route, I would think you could limit the possible routes and starting materials with your target price.

If you want to use styrene, then you need to have a functionalization reaction. I would think you could search for any electrophilic reactions that succeed. Are there any? Given that challenge, let me suggest an obvious strategy, reverse the process. Wikipedia reports, "Styrene is produced in industrial quantities from ethylbenzene, which is in turn prepared on a large scale by alkylation of benzene with ethylene." I would think phenyl acetate would be a more reactive reactant than benzene. Can't you use the remainder of the styrene reactions from 4-ethyl-1-acetoxybenzene? Or simply start with ethylbenzene? I'm presuming it is cheaper than styrene.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »

I understand the nature of the challenge. Given the nature of seeking a more economical route, I would think you could limit the possible routes and starting materials with your target price.

If you want to use styrene, then you need to have a functionalization reaction. I would think you could search for any electrophilic reactions that succeed. Are there any? Given that challenge, let me suggest an obvious strategy, reverse the process. Wikipedia reports, "Styrene is produced in industrial quantities from ethylbenzene, which is in turn prepared on a large scale by alkylation of benzene with ethylene." I would think phenyl acetate would be a more reactive reactant than benzene. Can't you use the remainder of the styrene reactions from 4-ethyl-1-acetoxybenzene?

Thanks! I will think about this option.

Or simply start with ethylbenzene? I'm presuming it is cheaper than styrene.

Surprisingly EB is currently ~30% more expensive than Styrene.  But same ballpark. 30% isn't huge. Yields etc. might easily make up for that.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
Or simply start with ethylbenzene? I'm presuming it is cheaper than styrene.

Surprisingly EB is currently ~30% more expensive than Styrene.  But same ballpark. 30% isn't huge. Yields etc. might easily make up for that.

Process chemists can probably answer this better than I, but sometimes a price can be higher due to a lack of demand, a reverse of why styrene is so cheap. I wouldn't expect a lot of people buying ethylbenzene just to make their own styrene even if the price were less. I think this is where you can begin to learn chemistry. If you begin with bulk prices and apply processing costs and yields, you can understand the cost of goods. If you are thinking of production, you can also step back to benzene and calculate ethylbenzene from there.

I would also suggest checking the patent literature more carefully. I would be shocked that I could suggest a patentable route in a chemistry forum wondering about alternate routes to a potential commercial product. I don't know this, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for anyone to contact me for my signature on their patent application. It is a lot more likely someone thought of this way before me.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »

Process chemists can probably answer this better than I, but sometimes a price can be higher due to a lack of demand, a reverse of why styrene is so cheap.

Agreed. OTOH, it is what it is. My scales are a drop in the ocean of both Styrene & EB consumpytion. I'm a price-taker not a price-maker. 

I think this is where you can begin to learn chemistry. If you begin with bulk prices and apply processing costs and yields, you can understand the cost of goods. If you are thinking of production, you can also step back to benzene and calculate ethylbenzene from there.

I agree with you on the pedagogical merits. Unfortunately most Chemistry & Chem. Engineering education is awful at conveying any price related insights. I always thought this was a big hole in the curriculum. You'd have to trawls hundreds of pages of books before finding any price numbers anywhere.

I would also suggest checking the patent literature more carefully. I would be shocked that I could suggest a patentable route in a chemistry forum wondering about alternate routes to a potential commercial product.

The one route I found in patents starts from phenol. See my first post.

Sponsored Links