April 24, 2024, 03:58:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Home-style Column Distillation Apparatus With Peristaltic Pump  (Read 2381 times)

Offline tcmbrendan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Does anyone know of a DIT kit or a legitimate entity who sells something similar to this?:

http://www.google.com/patents/US6555074

Basically what I want is a large, maybe 10L capacity, borosilicate or heat resistant glass column that can be packed with herbs and refluxed via a heated peristaltic pump.

The above link is really the closest thing that I found but other than hiring an engineer to develop this what are my options?

Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Home-style Column Distillation Apparatus With Peristaltic Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
I've moved this question, because home user or not, I think you really want to talk to a chemical engineer.  A 10 liter capacity chamber, made of glass, is pretty darn heavy.  I don't know enough to say definitively that it can't support its own weight, but such a rig would be difficult to ship, move, store a use safely.  You may not be able to find someone who'll build it for you.  You may also want to re-evaluate why you can't use stainless steel.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline tcmbrendan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Home-style Column Distillation Apparatus With Peristaltic Pump
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:45:39 PM »
I feel that my initial post wasn't as clear as it could have been, I have no reason other than sanitary reasons why I thought glass might be superior. I would just as easily commit to a stainless steel or some sort of polycarbonate, like a vitamix container.

Sponsored Links