April 24, 2024, 03:36:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrophobic diffusion  (Read 2324 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Hydrophobic diffusion
« on: August 30, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
I'm dealing with a question that states in it's answer that a charged species will have trouble diffusing across a hydrophobic membrane. However, I am unclear as to WHY a charged species prefers aqueous phase over lipid phase. I get that interactions are weaker but what does charge have to do with aqueous preference.

Thanks for any help

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Hydrophobic diffusion
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »
What is better able to stabilize a free charge, a polar or nonpolar environment? Think about the thermodynamics.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »
I'm not exactly sure with the thermodynamic aspect. I know that if you have polar molecules surrounding a charged species it may form bonds to the H ions stabilizing it more..

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
There are very few H+ ions at neutral pH; therefore, I don't know what you mean.  Negatively charged species will be attracted to the partial positive charges of H atoms within a water molecule, and positively charged species will be attracted to the partial negative charge on the oxygen atoms with a water molecule.  This is the intermolecular force known as ion-dipole attraction.

Sponsored Links