April 27, 2024, 12:45:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Analytical procedure in qualitative phase analysis (XRD)  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Compaq

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Analytical procedure in qualitative phase analysis (XRD)
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:18:12 AM »
Hi,

I have a question about the analytical procedure in performing a qualitative phase analysis using x ray diffractometry. Examples of this includes how to best determine the background (how should the background line behave near large peaks), criteria for accepting suggested phases, knowing how many phases to accept, etc.

The instrument is a PANalytical x'pert3 Powder, with HighScore Plus software. The samples are aerosol samples, sampled in a cascade impactor. The particles of the respirable fraction, and they are all aligned on a thin line on a Teflon patch. Since the sample is rotated, the line-aligned is expected to work nicely.

Mn compounds (oxides, ferromanganese, silicamanganese) are the analytes. I do not know how many different phases that are present. Not knowing the present phases, how do I decide on how many phases to accept in the phase identification stage? What I feel I am lacking, is a kind of overall analytical philosophy, concrete endpoints, or something like that.

I hope this post made any sense. I cannot find any literature or books covering these topics. If anyone know of relevant sources, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Anders

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: Analytical procedure in qualitative phase analysis (XRD)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
Are you using XRD or xray fluorescence (XRF)?

Offline Compaq

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Analytical procedure in qualitative phase analysis (XRD)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 04:27:28 AM »
XRD. The instrument is PANalytical x'pert3 Powder, with HighScore Plus.

Sponsored Links