March 29, 2024, 11:36:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Regioselectivity of substitution reactions of benzofuran and indole  (Read 3543 times)

Offline sbd0517

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrophilic substitution of benzofuran and indole occurs selectively at C2 and C3 respectively. My textbook says that results from "different relative contributions from the benzene ring and the heteroatom towards stabilization of the alternative cationic intermediate", as shown in the attachment. But I still don't get it. How would the difference in the two heteroatoms contribute distinct regioselectivities?

I've tried drawing the resonance contributors of the intermediates, but no difference was found in the case of NH and O.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Regioselectivity of substitution reactions of benzofuran and indole
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
Electrophilic substitution of benzofuran and indole occurs selectively at C2 and C3 respectively. My textbook says that results from "different relative contributions from the benzene ring and the heteroatom towards stabilization of the alternative cationic intermediate", as shown in the attachment. But I still don't get it. How would the difference in the two heteroatoms contribute distinct regioselectivities?

I've tried drawing the resonance contributors of the intermediates, but no difference was found in the case of NH and O.

Taking Z: to be your heteroatom look at your resonance stabilised cations.

Please upload the resonance stabilised forms that you have drawn and include mechanisms as to how each is formed.

If the carbocation is in the 2-position, how many resonance stabilised forms are there?

Likewise, if the carbocation is in the 3-position how many resonance stabilised forms are there?

“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Omar Ghanem

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What the name of this book or reference ??!
edit ... i had found it
Tadashi Okuyama , Howard Maskill, Organic Chemistrya : mechanistic approach
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:50:01 PM by Oh!how? »

Sponsored Links