March 28, 2024, 09:41:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Experiment Ideas?  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Confusionist

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Experiment Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »
So, I asked my teacher whether I could use liquid nitrogen, however he said no. Not because of safety, but rather because he is convinced that liquid nitrogen won't cool it enough no matter how long we leave it there. He said if I could convince him otherwise, he'd reconsider.

I went online afterwards wanting to prove him wrong, however I couldn't find any resources saying otherwise. Will liquid nitro and/or dry ice cool it enough?? Are there are resources that say this? I mean, liquid nitrogen is obviously cool enough, but does it have the capabilities to cool the alkane as well?  ???

Also, if there's any machine that I could use for this, he might be more convinced. The local university probably has just about anything that can be thought of, so within reason, I can ask them for about anything. It's just a matter of finding the equipment and contacting the right department.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »
So, I asked my teacher whether I could use liquid nitrogen, however he said no. Not because of safety, but rather because he is convinced that liquid nitrogen won't cool it enough no matter how long we leave it there.

What department is your teacher from?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »
I'm surprised too. Liquid nitrogen boils at 77K under atmospheric pressure and is very efficient at cooling - it achieves basically 77K plus little at immersed objects. I confirm first-hand if it were any necessary. Or did you tell dry ice instead, which he properly rejected for -91°C?

About the project duration and cost: up to now it seems to be an individual project, but if you have mates in a similar situation, you could collaborate! Cumulating ideas, experience, operation time uses to boost projects. Your school would also share the expenses over several students.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 12:08:54 AM »
Also, have you done a through literature survey? Always helps. What problems have people reported in the past. etc.

Offline Confusionist

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
Hey, guys! Sorry for the late reply. I talked to my professor about this and he seems to think that liquid nitrogen is too dangerous and he wants nothing to do with it. I've spent the past few days trying to get past red tape and do the damned experiment (so I could post a more optimistic reply for you all), however it's not working out. My only option at this point is to do the experiment at my apartment (which doesn't seem like a great idea) or drop the experiment in total. What I can do is come up with an entirely new idea that pertains to biology instead. Not as fun, but it seems like when biology experiments are done at this school, all rules and regulations go out the window. Obviously that's not a request I can post in chemistry forums, but since my mother was an eye surgeon, she might have an idea of something I can do instead. Kind of lame, but honestly better than nothing.

Thanks so much for helping me out, guys. Even though I can't do it, I still think it's an awesome idea and I learned a lot. If anyone ends up doing this and you remember my request, feel free to shoot me a pm so I can take a glance at the data.  ;) And again, sorry I brought this to such an abrupt end.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
Well then, if biology experiments don't have so strong safety requirements, you could introduce the rabbit in Australia and observe what happens to the local fauna. Oops, the rabbit has already been done, take an other one.

Pity for liquid nitrogen. It's fun stuff and I didn't feel it so dangerous. In a freezer you could start with C12 which still shows some odd-even effect.

The unknown polymer maybe, besides biology? At least it's very easy to produce.

Sponsored Links