March 28, 2024, 02:57:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: fluids with high expansion ratios that do not leave the liquid state  (Read 1882 times)

Offline jayhemm

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of research looking for a fluid that has a high expansion ratio that does not leave the liquid state.

the idea is that the fluid could either:

- using heat will expand and contract using hot and cold cycles
- using electricity (not necessarily needing heat) to expand then contract by itself or by de-energizing the fluid
- a fluid while contracting will create a great amount of vacuum. (preferably able to do at low temps, around room temperature)

Please excuse my lack of terminology, I'm working off of my basic knowledge from highschool chem and physics

Thank you for your help in advance guys.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: fluids with high expansion ratios that do not leave the liquid state
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:24:01 AM »
You're looking for a fluid with properties we'd use to make a thermometer.   The favorite one for a long time is mercury.  Its safety has put it out of favor, so now we mostly use alcohol.  You seem to not want the fluid to evaporate, but under pressure, evaporation isn't really a problem.  For thermometers, at least.  You can tell us more about your application if you're still stuck.  But you really should explain how your application is not like a thermometer.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links