March 29, 2024, 08:22:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Food grade paraffin oil,viscosity 68 cSt.  (Read 7381 times)

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
Food grade paraffin oil,viscosity 68 cSt.
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »
Hello.

I have food grade paraffin oil,viscosity 68 cSt(~20 SAE).
I think it is 100% paraffin mineral oil.
I have been told that it is special uses for the machine,in the bread bakery industries,which weight the dough.
I don't know what it is,exactly,lube at the machine(since i don't know how the machine works)but i would like to know if it is suitable to lubricate electric motor moving parts and things like that which used to be lubricate by mineral oil of the same viscosity.
Someone told me that it is not suitable for lubricate elecric motor oil,but i don't understand why?
I look on the msds off the"3 in one electric motor oil"(wd40 company)and i saw that they both the same viscosity(20 SAE)and them both contain paraffin,though the "3 in one"contains 96% paraffins(the rest is:<2%-naptha and <4%-proprietary)while the food grade one,i think,100% paraffin and them both detergent free.
So,it seems that i can use it at electric motors,can't i?
Or maybe it doesn't have any additives which make it not suitable for electric oil lubrication?(just assuming).
Does the food grade one,which uses,in the bakery at the weight machine,has just paraffin oil without any additives(such as anti aging,anti rust..)?

Thanks in advance.

Offline xchcui

Re: Food grade paraffin oil,viscosity 68 cSt.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:55:18 AM »
Anyone?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »
I am afraid you won't get any answers as there is not enough information - and your guesses are about as good as ours.

All "food grade" means is it doesn't contain anything that could hurt you if eaten/swallowed.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
Like Borek: said, you guess is as good as ours -- you seem to know that food grade lubricating oil doesn't have additives that may be important:  anti-rust, anti-oxidizers, detergents to help it disperse to tighter spaces, and I' assume that's why manufacturers say it can't be used, despite the same viscosity.  If you were going to put it into an automobile engine it'd be easy to tell you that additives are crucial.  You'll have to compare the wearing surfaces of the electric motor driven parts you have and the average bakery machine -- do they turn at vastly different RPM?  Are the load bearing surfaces to tighter specs?  Will you run them for longer times?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

This paraffin oil will,obviously,not suitable as engine oil,also,since it is not multi grade oil(besides the additives)but i thought that it will be good for electric motors,since i saw at the msds of one electric motor oil brand,that it is contains 96% parrafin oil which is the same viscosity as the bakery machine oil.I,also,don't know if the food grade paraffin oil contains additives at all or it is just 100% paraffin oil without anything else.
If it is just 100% paraffin oil so maybe the answer will be related to lack of additives?
what do you think?
by the way oil for electric motor should not has detergent(as i read on the net)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:29:01 AM by xchcui »

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »
IMO you should be fine.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »
Hi curiouscat.
To your opinion it should be fine and this is,indeed, an answer to my base question.Thanks.
But it is very important to me to know the idea behind the answer and the basis behind that,in order that i can rely on some information that will explain why it is fine or why it is not.I,still,don't know if they use only 100% paraffin without any additives in the bakery machine.
The laxative liquid paraffin,for example is 100% paraffin oil,but it is special for medical use so even if it was 68 cSt viscosity,i don't think it will be suitable for electric motor,but the one that i am talking about is for lubrication in the dough divider machine and i,assume,that there is a difference between the two kind of those paraffin oils(the medical and bakery one)which make the latter,maybe,to be suitable for electric motor.but i can't find what?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:28:09 PM by xchcui »

Offline xchcui

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:58:34 AM »
Nobody,in this chemical forum,know what is the compostion of food grade paraffin oil which uses in bakery dough divider ???
I thought it is a simple question and you will answer this question with no problem.it is a simple subject,i don't understand why do you make it difficult to find an answer :o
I can add(from an expert person) that the food grade paraffin oil(from the bakery industry) has a tiny quantity of additives in it.i don't know what exactly.
I don't understand,also,why you said that it is a guess?
If some one is expert in chemistry and he knows the types of paraffin oil and their uses,so there is nothing to guess.The oil can be suitable,can be not or can be used but not for extent time.
I don't see what there is to guess?
I hope someone will know if it can be used in lubricate motor oil parts(with explanation).
by the way,i am not angry or something like that ,i just very surprise that you are find it difficult to answer this  question.

Thanks in advance.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 05:10:52 AM »
Could you post the brand name?

Offline xchcui

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 05:09:55 AM »
Hi,billnotgatez.
Unfortunately,i got a bottle of that paraffin oil with no name of brand.
I have been told that it is 68 cSt paraffin oil which uses for dough divider(weight and slice)machine in the bakery,Thats all.
Anyway,thanks to everyone that try to help with that question.

Best regards.

Offline hyte

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
look around you and basically almost all you see includes chemistry of some sort. industrial age and all. by the question it's company secrets usually. easiest way to look at it would be to find which kind of regulations there are in your country for food grade parafin and it's additives. normally they say what can't be in there. so in which country you are in .?

parafin itself would be different by from where it has been made and for whom. is it special delivery or bulk. then the additives should be kinda common ones becos of mineral oil constitution. memory says that it got some exact carbon chain length to be parafin and that's majorly what differs, but dunno about physiological effects on those.

as lubricating http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology that's the name. there's it's own tables in books what can be used in which application. what would be LNGI number of paraffin tought it's normally used for greases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil it might work as electricity suppressant between wires.

basically what's the load and rpm .?

if it's just in some thousands with minor load almost anything goes. up in both or another it's need little more. heat buildup, viscosity, permeability and so on

. and by recard that 68 cSt might do the rick.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil it might work as electricity suppressant between wires.

I'm glad you mentioned this example.  It was food grade oil, contaminated with transformer oil, that caused an embarrassing food recall in EU many years ago.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin_Affair
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links