April 19, 2024, 05:06:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: LC 50 of a pesticide: carbaryl  (Read 2158 times)

Offline shallotisnotonion

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
LC 50 of a pesticide: carbaryl
« on: September 21, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »
I need to find LC 50 value of Carbaryl by using Sevin ready to spray against beetles. My general protocol is to dip filter paper in pesticide solution, let beetles walk on it and count mortality after 48 or 96 hours and choose the concentration that kills 50%  population of the beetles.  I am going to use 100mL for the total solution and dilute pesticide to 90mL, 80mL, 70mL by mixing 10mL, 20mL and 30mL of water or acetone respectively. And I will expect one of the diluted solution kills 50% of the population. Let's say I will get the ratio of 70mL of seven ready-to-spray/ 100mL of the total solution (for example). The label on the bottle says 22.5% of Carbaryl by wt and the total fluid liter is 946mL. It also says 2 pounds of Carbaryl per a gallon. Can you give me how to calculate LC50 value of Carbaryl after considering what the label say about Carbaryl content in the bottle?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: LC 50 of a pesticide: carbaryl
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
Have you found any protocols on how LD50 is actually done?  I find the number in a number of sources, but I've never found the procedure in a easily found source.  Why do you have to determine the toxicity, can whoever assigned this to you give you some insight into where you'd find the protocols for LD50 determination.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links