March 29, 2024, 07:55:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Particle in a Box? Problem  (Read 9562 times)

Offline riboswitch

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
  • Molecular Biology Student
Particle in a Box? Problem
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
In this problem, I'll assume that the electron particle is moving freely between two impenetrable barriers. It means I am solving a very simple "particle in a box" problem.

Problem:

The conjugated system of retinal consists of 11 carbon atoms and one oxygen atom. In the ground state of retinal, each level up to n=6 is occupied by two electrons. Assuming an average internuclear distance of 140 picometers, calculate:

• the separation in energy between the ground state and the first excited state in which one electron occupies the state with n=7;
  • the frequency of the radiation required to produce a transition between these two states.

My answer:

I'm assuming that the particle is moving freely between two "barriers" distant 10 x 140 picometers (≈ 1 x 10-9 m). The quantized energies of an electron particle "in a box" are:

[tex]E_{n} =    \frac{n^2h^2}{8mL^2} [/tex]

with

[tex]n = 1,2, .[/tex]

and L indicating the distance between the two barriers.
If I want to determine the amount of energy needed to "jump" from n=6 to n=7, then I have to calculate:

[tex]\Delta E_{6 \rightarrow 7} = E_{7} - E_{6}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta E_{6 \rightarrow 7} =  \frac{13h^2}{8mL^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta E_{6 \rightarrow 7} =  \frac{13 \times (6.626  \times 10^{-34}  \ \frac{J}{s})^2 }{8 \ (9.11  \times 10^{-31}\ Kg) \ (1 \times 10^{-9} \ m)^2}[/tex]

Am I doing this well? Did I miss something? Did I do something wrong here? Is L okay?

Any input will be helpful. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:08:09 PM by riboswitch »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Particle in a Box? Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Approach seems OK to answer part 1. Didn't check any math. But you forgot to include the oxygen atom, which participates in the conjugation.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline riboswitch

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
So there are 10 carbon-carbon bonds and one carbon-oxygen bond.
We are going to pretend that each of these internuclear bonds have a length of 140 picometers.
So 11 x 140 picometers ≈ 1 x 10-9 meters, which was the value I used in my calculations.  ;)
So:

[tex]\Delta E_{6 \rightarrow 7} =  \frac{13 \times (6.626  \times 10^{-34}  \ \frac{J}{s})^2 }{8 \ (9.11  \times 10^{-31}\ Kg) \ (1 \times 10^{-9} \ m)^2}[/tex]

Then I'll just use my calculator to get the value of ΔE.
I hope I'm doing this correctly.

Approach seems OK to answer part 1.

Oh, I totally forgot question number 2!

Let's see... I know that:

[tex]\Delta E \ = h \nu [/tex]

To calculate the frequency, I simply have to use this formula:

[tex]\nu \ =   \frac{ \Delta E_{6 \rightarrow 7}}{h}[/tex]

Is this approach correct?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
Well, I couldn't necessarily call 1.54 x 10-9 meters "approximately" 1 x 10-9 meters. And without including the oxygen, the box length is 1.4 x 10-9 meters. You will get very different answers for all these values. Converting into light wavelengths, including oxygen in the conjugation path (12 total adjacent nuclei) gives me a transition wavelength of ~ 600 nm (orange light). Neglecting the oxygen (11 total adjacent nuclei) gives a transition wavelength at ~497 nm (blue-green). Using your approximation of 1 nm for the box length, the projected transition wavelength is 254 nm, somewhere in the UV. The experimental absorption maximum of rhodopsin, which utilizes retinal as a cofacter, is about 570 nm. So you see, this all does actually make a difference. Especially here, where the box length is squared, small approximations can give rise to large deviations... and approximating 1.5 as 1.0 is anything but small.

Part 2 looks OK.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline riboswitch

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
Well, I couldn't necessarily call 1.54 x 10-9 meters "approximately" 1 x 10-9 meters. And without including the oxygen, the box length is 1.4 x 10-9 meters. You will get very different answers for all these values. Converting into light wavelengths, including oxygen in the conjugation path (12 total adjacent nuclei) gives me a transition wavelength of ~ 600 nm (orange light). Neglecting the oxygen (11 total adjacent nuclei) gives a transition wavelength at ~497 nm (blue-green). Using your approximation of 1 nm for the box length, the projected transition wavelength is 254 nm, somewhere in the UV. The experimental absorption maximum of rhodopsin, which utilizes retinal as a cofacter, is about 570 nm. So you see, this all does actually make a difference. Especially here, where the box length is squared, small approximations can give rise to large deviations... and approximating 1.5 as 1.0 is anything but small.

Part 2 looks OK.

Now I know why I'm doing these exercises the wrong way.
I should abandon my habit of approximating the length of the "box".
So the new equation should look like this:

[tex]\Delta E_{6 \rightarrow 7} =  \frac{13 \times (6.626  \times 10^{-34}  \ \frac{J}{s})^2 }{8 \  \times (9.11  \times 10^{-31}\ Kg) \  \times (1.54 \times 10^{-9} \ m)^2}[/tex]

Doing the math will give me:

[tex]\Delta E_{6 \rightarrow 7} =  3.302  \times \  10^{-19} \ J[/tex]

And the corresponding frequency is:

[tex] \nu \ \approx \ 4.9836  \times 10^{14} \ Hz[/tex]

You have already stated pretty much everything else. Thank you.  ;D

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
Yes. (And thanks for using LaTex. I wish more posters took the trouble.)

Sponsored Links