April 18, 2024, 11:53:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gypsum clean up (solid-solid separation)  (Read 9662 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Gypsum clean up (solid-solid separation)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
Interesting, especially taking into account fact how common limestone is. How is the PCC prepared using this way better than mined calcite?

It must need a lot of energy to decompose limestone. And then one must slake it & get into solution & bubble CO2 to re-precipitate it?

CaSO4 is a textbook example of a weakly soluble salt. It is also a textbok example of a weakly soluble salt that is not that weakly soluble ;)

Dang. Should have paid more attention in those Chemistry classes.  :P

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Interesting, especially taking into account fact how common limestone is. How is the PCC prepared using this way better than mined calcite?

It must need a lot of energy to decompose limestone. And then one must slake it & get into solution & bubble CO2 to re-precipitate it?

Yes, but from the way gypsum is processed I don't see how the produced PCC is better than the one mined - and if so, I don't see a reason to convert gypsum to PCC (when the limestone, calcite and aragonite are so abundant everywhere).

I am not saying there is no reason, if it is done it makes sense - I just don't see it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chase

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
The main aim is to make it energy efficient - they use high temperatures (1000 oC). 

So moving back to the separation.. After some digging around it seems that ferrofluid won't help as the densities need to be distinct or so I gathered. Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links