April 26, 2024, 09:32:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Qualitative Molecular Orbital Theory Help  (Read 1637 times)

Offline mattjohnson0715

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Qualitative Molecular Orbital Theory Help
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
Hey guys! First post!

I wanted to see if anybody has got any tips or tricks or videos or what-have-you for QMOT solving as it is getting overwhelming for me. Specifically, I am having trouble with how to draw them, what makes some structures more contributing to stability than others, and polarity and when to draw it.

Also, I recognize that this topic is not a normal organic chemistry question and is kind of on the graduate organic chemistry or physical chemistry side of the coin, so let me know if I'll get more insightful comments in a different sub.

Thanks and have a good day!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Qualitative Molecular Orbital Theory Help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
The question is too broad I think. Can you be more specific? Use a specific example, if that's helpful.

(I'm not sure what you mean by "qualititative molecular orbital theory". I'm not an organic chemist, though. Is this some formalism used by organic chemists?)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
Re: Qualitative Molecular Orbital Theory Help
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
Also, I recognize that this topic is not a normal organic chemistry question and is kind of on the graduate organic chemistry or physical chemistry side of the coin, so let me know if I'll get more insightful comments in a different sub.

We had a whole Semester in organic chemistry about it in the 3rd year.
what is it you want to know? just drawing the orbital diagrams for some molecules? orbital correlation diagrams? state correlation? what's your background, what do you need?

Sponsored Links