April 20, 2024, 08:18:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mixing solutions with different acidity  (Read 2185 times)

Offline pounceprowlmeow

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mixing solutions with different acidity
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »
Hi forum, this is my first post. I'm in a mathematics for technology class and I am completely stumped in regards to the concept of concentration, moles, and dilutions. My class is just learning this right now, and I'm panicking as I cannot comprehend! I have used many youtube videos but none have been in the format of my problems and it's difficult to know if I am correct or not. The professor tends to not give us the answers to equations he goes over. Please help and I will be forever grateful, I want to understand this so much.

So the problem is:
A chemist wants to make 50 ml of a 16% acid solution by mixing a 13% acid solution and an 18% acid solution. How many milliliters of each solution should the chemist use?

The professor introduced the formula C1V1+C2V2=C3V3 but I don't understand how to use it. The professor also introduced this table which I also do not understand.

|  1   |  2  |    3  |
C g/ml|  C1  | C2 | 16% |
V g/l  |  V1  | V2 | 50 ml|

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm going to go to the tutoring offered at the college I attend! Whoops!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:39:32 AM by pounceprowlmeow »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Mixing solutions with different acidity
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
Just to clarify: acidity and acid concentration are two different concepts.

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=concentration&right=dilution-mixing

Equations given there are for molar concentrations, but the general idea - about mass conservation - still holds.

Question as given to you has no solution. Without knowing densities only some approximate estimates are possible.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links