April 18, 2024, 11:01:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Titrations  (Read 3676 times)

Offline AKRON

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Titrations
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
Hi,

I would immensely appreciate it if someone could help me with the science behind a titration.

Thank you 

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Titrations
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
That's very general. Have you a specific problem in mind? If not, you can start by reading the Wikipedia article on Titration. After that, if you have any specific questions, come back with them.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:42:43 PM »
It depends what do you want to do with your titration. There are many kinds of titration
One of the most common uses for titration is to find out unknownt amount of compound in sample. Lets say you want to figure out the concentration of acetic acid in vinegear.
At first, you take known amount of vinegear - lets say 10 ml of vinegear - and then you add slowly some kind of base, usualy sodium hydroxide. Acid reacts with hydroxide and forms salt.
When all acid reacted, you then calculate the amount of acid from amount of used hydroxide and its concentration using stochiometry calculations.
The point when all of the acid is reacted, can be shown in many different ways, the most common for this aplications is to use some kind of indicatior. Indicator is a compound that can exist in two forms with different colours depending on conditions of enviroment - in this case pH.
When you react all the acid the pH should be around 7 (not exaclty 7 because acetic acid is weak acid) but when you add one more drop of hydroxide the pH skyrockets into basic area and the indicator changes color so you can see the equivalence and note the volume of used hydroxide.

This link might be useful for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titration
I hope it helped :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
Or go to http://www.titrations.info

It is up to you to do the basic work, we can help you when you have detailed questions.

Please don't cross post. Please read the forum rules.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AKRON

Titrations
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
Hi,

Could you outline some of the limitations imposed by the techniques and equipment used in a titration and perhaps a few ways to make improvements.

Would be much appreciated.

Offline AKRON

Titrations
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Hi,

Could you outline some of the limitations imposed by the techniques and equipment used in a titration and perhaps a few way to make improvements.

Would be much appreciated.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 04:04:30 PM »
This re-re-re-reposted thread is locked, and I hope the O.P. will not re-post the same question again, but instead a more complete question.

AKRON: you have some reading to do:  starting with the forum rules: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0  We don't allow reposts across sub-forums, nor reposts of the same exact question, even if months apart.  We like complete answerable questions, not "tell me everything."

You can also read this thread that I merged all together for you.  You got an answer and a link from kriggy:, and a link from Borek:  Do you understand the content of those links completely?  What's still missing, that you think you need to know?  In what way do their posts not answer your questions?

I'm asking you to follow the rules, but I'm also a little insulted that you thought you could just ask the same general question, one month later.  I'm left with the suspicion you've been assigned a term paper-type question, and instead of reading, and writing it, you want us to write it for you.  These questions, of yours, are at least a little disappointing, even if my suspicion is not absolutely the case.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:42:34 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links