March 28, 2024, 07:42:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can some one solve this so I can check my work? (no solution - just answers)  (Read 2850 times)

Offline roneddy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A sample of 1.5g of Copper (I) oxide and copper (II) oxide is heated in hydrogen gas to give 1.298g of pure copper metal. Calculate the percent composition by mass of the two copper compounds in the sample.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Please read the forum rules.

You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy, and we are not a free "we will do your homework" service.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
A sample of 1.5g of Copper (I) oxide and copper (II) oxide is heated in hydrogen gas to give 1.298g of pure copper metal. Calculate the percent composition by mass of the two copper compounds in the sample.

You have to develop two equations.  You get information of the mass difference about oxygen. You can calculate the molecular weight of the mixture. You know the mole of copper and oxygen obtained.

Offline roneddy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
x=mass of CuO
y=mass of Cu2O

x+y=1.5 [1]
0.18=(x) (16/79.54) + (y) ( 16/143.08)

is this correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
0.18=(x) (16/79.54) + (y) ( 16/143.08)

Please explain what these numbers are. Molar masses of copper oxides are obvious, but what are the others? Especially, what is the 0.18 on the left?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links