April 19, 2024, 09:16:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alprazolam Solubility in Ethanol  (Read 6513 times)

Offline dumanity

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Alprazolam Solubility in Ethanol
« on: October 09, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
Does anyone know how soluble Alprazolam is in ethanol (95% ethanol solution)? I would imagine it would be fully soluble such that you could make a 2 mg/mL solution with 500 mg in 250 mL ethanol for example. Would it be uniformly concentrated throughout? I'd imagine it would and you could syringe out 1 mL for a 2 mg dose for patients. Thanks for any help with this and sorry if it's not in the most appropriate forum but it seemed somewhat relevant?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Alprazolam Solubility in Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Does anyone know how soluble Alprazolam is in ethanol (95% ethanol solution)?

I haven't looked it up myself just yet.  You can try Google, or try a published copy of the Merck Index.  However ...

I would imagine it would be fully soluble such that you could make a 2 mg/mL solution with 500 mg in 250 mL ethanol for example.

Lets continue with this statement as true for arguments sake.

Would it be uniformly concentrated throughout?

Yes.  That's pretty much the definition of dissolved. Assuming its truly dissolved, and mixed well.   Don't really know why you'd ask that

I'd imagine it would and you could syringe out 1 mL for a 2 mg dose for patients.

That's an accurate assessment of the concentration calculation, yes.  'Course, even if you're not a medical technician, you should know that we don't inject people with essentially pure ethanol solutions generally.  And a medical technician shouldn't need any of this sort of help at all.

Thanks for any help with this and sorry if it's not in the most appropriate forum but it seemed somewhat relevant?
I'll move it to biochemistry, just 'cause.

This forum doesn't give medical advice, for liability reasons.  But I did want to go on record that this whole question makes me itchy.

*[EDIT]*

A quick Google tells me this is a schedule IV drug of abuse in the US.  Still, its usually prescribed orally, and not very prone to abuse.  Still wonder how you can claim to have a legitimate reason to ask about dissolving and injecting it.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline dumanity

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Alprazolam Solubility in Ethanol
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
Haha, you're wise. No obviously I'm not going to be injecting people with alprazolam, especially since it's ethanol-based, it would be more to put 1 mL drops onto another medium that will hold the alprazolam compound and allow the ethanol to evaporate from it and leave behind the active compound. I understand why it makes you itchy.

I really just wanted to make sure ethanol would be a suitable solvent to dissolve it in rather than something like water which it isn't soluble in or propylene glycol which isn't easily accessible.

Sponsored Links