April 25, 2024, 06:56:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Changing Colors When Shaken  (Read 5008 times)

Offline mikeclegg123

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Changing Colors When Shaken
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Hello Everyone.

It has been sometime since I have done anything Chemistry - hence why I am here asking this question.

I am trying to come across a solution which has the following properties:
- When it is shaken, it changes color
- When it is left to sit it reverts back to its original color
- It can be 'modified' for different lengths of time to be shaken before the color changes
- It can do this for a very large number of times before it does not work anymore (if not, preferably indefinitely)

There are others that I would prefer, however these are not pressing issues, such as being non-toxic etc.
I have seen both the 'Blue Bottle' and 'Traffic Light' Experiments, yet these only work a limited number of times, due to the reaction using oxygen (from what I have been told) and requiring a recharge of oxygen for it to continue. This wont work, as we need it to happen without having to 'recharge' the solution.

I know what I have already suggested is a tall order. But any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline mikeclegg123

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Changing Colors When Shaken
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas here? Even a solution that is cloudy for a start that turns clear, (or the other way around).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »
A suspension instead of a solution?

You mix by shaking, and after some time, the powder settles, leaving the liquid alone. It works with graphite powder, tungsten carbide powder, and so on.

You can adjust the settlement time by the powder's fineness and the liquid's viscosity. Indian ink takes years to settle partially.

Graphite is black, tungsten carbide deep grey, many oxides (TiO2...) are white and some are nicely coloured. The liquid can be a colourful solution as well, by a metal ion or an organic dye.

Graphite, tungsten carbide and titanium dioxide are easily available as nanopowder, so you can begin experimenting with these.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
Look up: universal indicator.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 02:50:35 AM »
Look up: universal indicator.

Won't change color on shaking.

Blue bottle is limited, but but it works quite long. Oxygen is taken from the atmosphere, so it is actually glucose that is a limiting reagent.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Zyklonb

• Mole Snacks: +30/-10
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
There's two examples in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_E2ZKZpC4, starts at about 5:15 minutes.

Sponsored Links