March 28, 2024, 07:01:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cyclohexyl Bromide from Cyclohexanol  (Read 3696 times)

Offline 4kec4

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cyclohexyl Bromide from Cyclohexanol
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
I would appreciate if you could help me out understand these questions regarding my organic chem lab:

1) Why was your product dried over the more powerful CaCl2 rather than the more selective Na2SO4? (Note: Ca2+ attracts electrons better than Na1+)

2) Clearly explain the value of using the CH2Cl2. Why is diethyl ether no used in this seperation? (Hint: density of bromocyclohexane is 1.32)

3) In which step was most of your product lost? How might this have been minimized?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Cyclohexyl Bromide from Cyclohexanol
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:09 AM »
It is a forum rule that you must show your attempt first before we can help you.  But I will give you some very general thoughts about drying solvents.  The various inorganic salts have different properties, including their capacity for water and their efficiency to remove water.

Offline 4kec4

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
I appreciate the reminder, I am a brand new member. Also, thanks for the hint.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 03:16:31 AM »
I would appreciate if you could help me out understand these questions regarding my organic chem lab:

1) Why was your product dried over the more powerful CaCl2 rather than the more selective Na2SO4? (Note: Ca2+ attracts electrons better than Na1+)

2) Clearly explain the value of using the CH2Cl2. Why is diethyl ether no used in this seperation? (Hint: density of bromocyclohexane is 1.32)

3) In which step was most of your product lost? How might this have been minimized?

You will also need to post the procedure for us to help you.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links