April 26, 2024, 10:05:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Complicated synthesis  (Read 2068 times)

Offline kachamakota

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Complicated synthesis
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
Hello,
I need some help with a sythesis, I need to design it and then perform the reaction in lab.
My teacher left for a conference, she doesn't answer to emails, I tried to use PubChem and sigma-aldrich to find the structure and it's name / properties, anything, no results. I am stuck, please help me out :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Complicated synthesis
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »
The compound may be unknown to science, so database searches might not be able to return an exact match.

You should search a better database, like SciFinder and/or Reaxys for your target compound, and/or related compounds and see how they were made.

The textbooks should point you in the right direction if you don't have database access. We require that you attempt the question (Forum Rules) - so show us your ideas for a synthesis or retrosynthesis. Look up the synthesis of cyclobutanes to get started.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline kachamakota

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
The compound may be unknown to science, so database searches might not be able to return an exact match.

You should search a better database, like SciFinder and/or Reaxys for your target compound, and/or related compounds and see how they were made.

The textbooks should point you in the right direction if you don't have database access. We require that you attempt the question (Forum Rules) - so show us your ideas for a synthesis or retrosynthesis. Look up the synthesis of cyclobutanes to get started.

Well, I don't have an account neither on Scifinder nor reaxys, is it for free?  I have no idea for a synthesis, because I don't know anything about this molecule - and I am supposed to start making it in laboratory next week...

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »
Hints:
look up conversion of alcohols to amines
and
cycloadditions
Then see if you can come up with a synthesis/retrosynthesis scheme.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links