April 19, 2024, 04:22:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quantitative Determination of Nickel In a compound by Gravimetric Analysis.  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Mgstyle

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi I am having a lot of difficulty with this pre lab question and I don't know where to begin:(

This is the pre-lab question:
A 10.00mL sample of an unknown aqueous nickel (II) solution was treated and found to produce a 0.0532 g of Ni(DMG)2 precipitate. Calculate the percent Nickel in the ore sample.

So I have no clue what to do here But if anyone knows how to figure this out... Here are the procedures for the heterogenous precipitation:

1. Pipet 15.00mL of unknown Ni solution into a clean 600ml beaker
2. Add 350mL of distilled water, 2.50g of NH4Cl (weighed on the triple beam balance) and 2.5 mL of Concentrated ammonia solution to the beaker. Heat the solution to steaming while stirring
3. Add about 20mL of the 1% dimethylglyoxime reagent to the solution and stir well
4. Heat and stir the steaming solution for 20 minutes or until the precipitate settles. Do not allow the solution to boil or some of the precipitate may be lost.
5. Cool, filter dry and weigh the precipitate

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
This is not a complete question. Question can't be answered without mass of the ore sample, was it given to you? Were there any dilution steps taken?

Think in terms of a simple stoichiometry.

What is the formula of Ni(DMG)2? What is its molar mass? What is the reaction equation? What was the mass of Ni2+ in the solution?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links