March 28, 2024, 03:23:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pkA and pkB relationship.  (Read 5074 times)

Offline kevinklee2003

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
pkA and pkB relationship.
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
So pKa refers to the equilibrium constant for the reaction:
Reaction 1: HA + H2O -><- A- + H3O+

and pKb refers to the reaction Reaction 2: A- + H2O -> <- HA + OH-

So pKb does NOT refer to the equilbrium constant for the reverse reaction of reaction 1 right? But rather to the equilibrium constant for the forward reaction for the conjugate base?

Also a more fundamental question, I know the relationship between an acid and its conjugate base is
pKa + pkB = 14
My question is why do we use this relationship? Is it because the equilbrium constant for the autoionization of water is 10-14M2. So no matter what acids or bases are added (which wil change the concentration of OH- and H3O+ in solution), after everything equilibriates, H3O+ and OH- must still equilibriate to having the relationship of [H3O+]*[OH-] = 10-14 = Keq for water?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: pkA and pkB relationship.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
So pKb does NOT refer to the equilbrium constant for the reverse reaction of reaction 1 right? But rather to the equilibrium constant for the forward reaction for the conjugate base?
Correct. Hence follows the second part, since
Ka = [H3O+][A-]/[HA]; Kb = [HA][OH-]/[A-]; so KaKb = [H3O+][OH-] = Kw

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: pkA and pkB relationship.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
So pKb does NOT refer to the equilbrium constant for the reverse reaction of reaction 1 right?

No.

But rather to the equilibrium constant for the forward reaction for the conjugate base?

Yes.

Also a more fundamental question, I know the relationship between an acid and its conjugate base is
pKa + pkB = 14
My question is why do we use this relationship?

Because it exists? I am not sure I understand what your question really is. It can be easily proven that pKa + pKb = pKw, once it is proven we can use it, don't we?

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=bronsted-lowry-theory
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links