April 23, 2024, 06:48:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about Maleic Acid and Fumeric Acid  (Read 2103 times)

Offline TheRockIng

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about Maleic Acid and Fumeric Acid
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:23:07 AM »
Hi guys,

First time here so I'll try my best to be as concise as possible in my question!

I did a carbocation of Maleic acid in class and the solution that we got was analyzed using a TLC. My solution got 3.45 Rf and fumeric acid was 4.5 where as maleic acid was 1.4. Therefore my solution is 83.3% maleic acid. Where I am stuck is to explain WHY fumeric acid travelled longer. I thought ,at first , that fumeric acid was less polar than maleic therefore leading to a longer distance. But I was wrong. I am starting to think it has to do with nucleophilic stuff ( just started that chapter)

Any help? :/

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Question about Maleic Acid and Fumeric Acid
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »
Hi guys,

First time here so I'll try my best to be as concise as possible in my question!

I did a carbocation of Maleic acid in class and the solution that we got was analyzed using a TLC. My solution got 3.45 Rf and fumeric acid was 4.5 where as maleic acid was 1.4. Therefore my solution is 83.3% maleic acid. Where I am stuck is to explain WHY fumeric acid travelled longer. I thought ,at first , that fumeric acid was less polar than maleic therefore leading to a longer distance. But I was wrong. I am starting to think it has to do with nucleophilic stuff ( just started that chapter)

Any help? :/

Rfs are usually quoted as a fraction less than 1, and aren't usually additive in this way. I'm not really sure what you're measuring. What's the full procedure?

Sponsored Links