March 28, 2024, 05:55:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Two questions regarding drugs  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Ingeniosuccinimide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Two questions regarding drugs
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:43 AM »
This might be a very common mainstream question for students, there are answers on the web available, but I still wanted to ask someone here: what is the difference between an inhibitor and an antagonist? (Can we just for this purpose omit the difference between enzymes and receptors as targets and just talk about a general target?) Also very important, are either inhibitors or antagonists necessarily allosteric?

One another thing: in one task, I'm asked to identify or suggest the structure of the drug for which the two metabolites are known and identified (pic in the attachment). The transformation takes two steps. How do I solve that one??

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
Re: Two questions regarding drugs
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Metabolism is only the summary name for the chemical reactions performed vivo, so think chemical reactions.

What are the two functional groups shown in the pick ?  How would they be formed from a larger molecule ?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Two questions regarding drugs
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:28:31 AM »
I am not sure how to approach your first question.  I use the word inhibitor for enzymes, but I use the word antagonist for receptors.  Perhaps inhibitors are a subclass of antagonists, but I really have not thought about it carefully.

Sponsored Links