March 28, 2024, 02:16:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating the concentration of a gas knowing the volume and temperature  (Read 1986 times)

Offline jesss

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi,

I would really appreciate some help with the following question, I am sure there is a relatively simple answer but I am hitting a brick wall at the moment.

A container is filled with nitric oxide (NO) to a pressure of 10 bar at 300 K. What is the concentration of the nitric oxide in moles m-3 ?
What would be the concentration of cyanogen (C2N2) at the same temperature and pressure? Which principle does this demonstrate?

I have gone through all the gas laws that we have been studying during lectures but i cannot find one that fits for this question.

Thank you!

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Concentration is moles per liter, isn't it?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jesss

yes conc = moles/ volume , but you are not told the volume of the gas? I am probably missing something obvious.

damn i am an idiot, the question tells me the pressure not the volume.. it has been a long night.

Offline jesss

Ah i see where you are going with this now, pV = nRT, so n/V  must equate to P/RT.

Thanks

Sponsored Links