April 16, 2024, 07:52:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Omitting H2O concentration from equilibrium constant?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline katherinetran25

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Omitting H2O concentration from equilibrium constant?
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »
When is it appropriate to exclude or include the concentration of H2O from calculations for K or Q?

I have been asked to calculate the Free Energy produced from a reaction, for the hydrolysis of ATP, with the reaction:
ATP + H2O --> ADP + phosphate

Of course, since [H2O]=55mol/L, the calculations for free energy are significantly different if I exclude the water concentration. 

I am not sure if this is relevant, but at our level, my professor told us to disregard activity concentrations. My thinking is that I would include the H2O concentration, as we were given the molarity (mol/L) of each of the substituents in the reaction, so to keep it consistent, the water concentration should be included as well.
Further, since we are specifically told to "ignore" activities, I can't just disregard H2O's contribution based on its molar ratio being 1.

Thank you for any clarification.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Omitting H2O concentration from equilibrium constant?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:21:53 PM »
The activity of a pure liquid or solid is always approximated as equal to 1, because the effective concentration of a pure liquid or solid does not change appreciably as a function of temperature, pressure, volume, etc. So, you should be using 1 in your equilibrium expressions, not the molarity of pure water. For other substances, the activity is usually approximated as the molar concentration of the substance.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
Re: Omitting H2O concentration from equilibrium constant?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
it just depends on which kind of equilibrium constant you want to have. usually the most appropriate one is the one that uses activities.

Sponsored Links