March 28, 2024, 04:33:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: not understand how my book said pka=ph when its not even at 1/2 equivalence pt  (Read 2207 times)

Offline duma

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
What is the predominant form of ammonia in a solution at pH 7.0? Approximately
what fraction is in this form?

􏰀SOLUTION In Appendix B, we find pKa 􏰆 9.24 for the ammonium ion (NH 4,
the conjugate acid of ammonia, NH3). At pH 􏰆 9.24, [NH􏰀4 ] 􏰆 [NH3]. Below pH 9.24, NH􏰀4 will be the predominant form. Because pH 􏰆 7.0 is about 2 pH units below pKa, the quotient [NH3]/[NH􏰀4 ] will be about 1:100. Approximately 99% is in the form NH􏰀4 .

so the book said that the pka is 9.24 for the ammonium ion NH4. Then it said ph = 9.24.

Are they saying pka = ph because they are assuming the ion is at 1/2 equivalence point? I'm confused. How did they get pka=ph? Is it a typo? We're not even talking about titrations in this example.

Also I don't understand how they got 1:100 due ph of 7 being 2 units lower then the ph of 9.24. How does that work?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Are they saying pka = ph because they are assuming the ion is at 1/2 equivalence point? I'm confused. How did they get pka=ph? Is it a typo? We're not even talking about titrations in this example.

They didn't say pH is 9.24. They said "at pH 9.24 [NH3]=[NH4+]". That's not about pH 7.0 solution, but it is a good starting point to find the concentrations asked about.

Also I don't understand how they got 1:100 due ph of 7 being 2 units lower then the ph of 9.24. How does that work?

Please see http://www.titrations.info/acid-base-titration-indicators

While it is about indicators, equation (2) holds for any weak acid, and nicely shows how the ratio of the protonated/free form changes with pH (and why it changes tenfold with pH changing by one unit).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:36:18 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links