March 28, 2024, 07:59:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ion Exchange Column Question  (Read 2421 times)

Offline fredodgers

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ion Exchange Column Question
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »
Hello,

I have a quick question regarding elution when it comes to an anion exchange column.  In a lab I was doing, both 9M and 4M HCl were used to elute Ni in the form NiCl+ and Co in the form CoCl+ respectively.  My question is whether or not something like KCl could be used instead of this HCl for the purposes of elution (would the KCl be able to provide the necessary source of chloride, in essence)? 
Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ion Exchange Column Question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 03:06:27 AM »
If it is the anion exchange column it was H+, not K+, that is important for the exchange. Cl- complexes the metal cation, but it is not that important effect.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline fredodgers

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »
If it is the anion exchange column it was H+, not K+, that is important for the exchange. Cl- complexes the metal cation, but it is not that important effect.

Would K+ be able to play the role of the H+?  What factors would I have to think about to determine this?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »
Would K+ be able to play the role of the H+?

To some extent for sure.

I have never used an anion exchange resins, but I am quite sure what you ask is just a part of the resin characteristics - either listed by the seller, or easy to measure experimentally on your own.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links