April 25, 2024, 10:32:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How would you test for caprylic acid?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Taidoboy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How would you test for caprylic acid?
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »
Hello Chemical Forums,
in class we are to hold a presentation about "organic chemistry in products we use daily". One part of the presentation is to explain how you would (theoretically) test your product for one or two of its ingredients.

The product (a type of cleaning product) we chose contains these chemicals:

AQUA, TETRAPOTASSIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, LAURYL POLYGLUCOSE, CAPRYLIC ACID, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, ISODECANOLETHOXYLATE, LIMONENE

So my question is: how would I test (this product) for Caprylic acid?

If any other chemicals in this product are good for 'theoretical testing for' I would be happy to know :)
Also if anything is unclear please do ask!

Thanks in advance,
Taidoboy

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How would you test for caprylic acid?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
OK, to start with, you should trim your list of possible choices to exclude those that aren't organic compounds.  Then, you can look at the structures of each of the compounds, including the one you will eventually choose, to see what reactions they undergo based on their functional groups.  Once you have such a list, you can begin to write your presentation.

Note that I ask you more than just a few questions, that's how this forum works.  We expect you to do some of the work yourself.  that's in the Forum Rules, linked in red, at the top of every forum page.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links