April 24, 2024, 03:48:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hybridization of N2 (or not?)  (Read 17873 times)

Offline nriggan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hybridization of N2 (or not?)
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »
Okay, so N2 has a triple bond and a lone pair on each N atom. This implies that there are two pi bonds and one sigma bond. Now, every website, forum, etc. has said that each N atom hybridizes to form an sp orbital, so the sigma bond formed would be denoted as [σ sp-sp]. However, upon investigating the occupied and shared energy levels of each Nitrogen, I realized that this sigma bond could very well be a [σ 2p-2p] bond, which would actually make more sense as it would leave the 2s orbital as the lone pairs on each Nitrogen as opposed to an sp lone pair which as far as my knowledge goes, does not exist. I have a chemistry exam tomorrow, and I really need to be sure of this ASAP. Thanks for your helps guys.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Hybridization of N2 (or not?)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:34:09 AM »
Nitrogen |N=N|  you can compare with the ethyne H-C=C-H. The orbitals are sp hybridizised.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:36:28 AM by Hunter2 »

Offline nriggan

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
Ooookay, but why? Wouldn't it make more sense for the 2s orbital to serve as a lone pair than a leftover sp? And could you provide an example of something with a [σ2p-2p] bond?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
There are a lot of reasons this wouldn't work. One is that if the lone pairs were located in unhybridized s-orbitals, they'd be located a lot closer to the electron dense bonding region the molecule, which would entail a large interaction energy. Located into sp-hybridized orbitals directed in the opposite direction, electron-repulsion between the lone pair and the bonding electrons is minimized.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline nriggan

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
Thank you!! Oh and about that example of a σ2p-2p bond....I can't seem to find one anywhere. Most places don't even describe the contributing atomic orbitals in the making of a molecular orbital. If anyone could possibly think up one that would be fantastic.

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »
I still don't understand why there are any arguments about hybridisation... it's a matter of mathematical convenience and not a matter of physics.

Sponsored Links