March 29, 2024, 05:05:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gelatin and Epinephrine  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Clean

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gelatin and Epinephrine
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
Making the assumption that adrenaline is present in the animal parts used to make gelatin, will most of it be lost in the process of making gelatin?

Gelatin Making Process:
Inspection and cutting

1 When the animal parts arrive at the food processing plant, they are inspected for quality. Rotted parts are discarded. Then, the bones, tissues, and skins are loaded into chopping machines that cut the parts into small pieces of about Sin (12.7cm) in diameter.
Degreasing and roasting

2 The animal parts are passed under high-pressure water sprays to wash away debris. They are then degreased by soaking them in hot water to reduce the fat content to about 2%. A conveyer belt moves the degreased bones and skins to an industrial dryer where they are roasted for approximately 30 minutes at about 200° F (100° C).
Acid and akaline treatment

3 The animal parts are soaked in vats of lime or some other type of acid or akali for approximately five days. This process removes most of the minerals and bacteria and facilitates the release of collagen. The acid wash is typically a 4% hydrochloric acid with a pH of less than 1.5. The alkaline wash is a potassium or sodium carbonate with a pH above 7.
Boiling

4 The pieces of bone, tissue, and skin are loaded into large aluminum extractors and boiled in distilled water. A tube running from the extractor allows workers to draw off the liquid that now contains gelatin. The liquid is sterilized by flash-heating it to about 375° F (140° C) for approximately four seconds.
Evaporating and grinding

5 From the extractor, the liquid is piped through filters to separate out bits of
The chemical structure of gelatin is what makes gelatin water soluble; form digestible gels and films that are strong, flexible, and transparent; and form a positive binding action that is useful in food processing, pharmaceuticals, photography, and paper production.
The chemical structure of gelatin is what makes gelatin water soluble; form digestible gels and films that are strong, flexible, and transparent; and form a positive binding action that is useful in food processing, pharmaceuticals, photography, and paper production.
bone, tissue or skin that are still attached. From the filters, the liquid is piped into evaporators, machines that separate the liquid from the solid gelatin. The liquid is piped out and discarded. The gelatin is passed through machines that press it into sheets. Depending on its final application, the gelatin sheets are passed through a grinder that reduces them to a fine powder.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Gelatin and Epinephrine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Discussion about drugs is very limited by forum rules
Please read forum rules

Offline Clean

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:52:38 PM »
The subject of this discussion is the hormone adrenaline and the animal product gelatin.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:00:17 AM »
Making the assumption that adrenaline is present in the animal parts used to make gelatin

Is it?

How stable is adrenaline - is it capable of surviving roasting, acid bath, flash heating, as described in the procedure?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Clean

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »
I don't know, is it? Sorry for being so paranoid. I am concerned that gelatin capsules contain adrenaline, the adrenaline might bind to collagen. Really though some one please spell out the truth about this matter. Is there any adrenaline in gelatin?

Thank you Borek, adrenaline is "not stable" so it would be destroyed in the process. What is the math on this something like molecule stability threshold 50 and gelatin acid bath strength 54 therefore the adrenaline is destroyed, if so what does it turn in to, and is that inert?

Just sharing my though process...

Offline Clean

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 12:28:58 AM »
Please *delete me* This is driving me mad. The flash heating sounds terrible, aluminum will leach into the gelatin! How do you know that 200C will destroy the adrenaline? Are you just guessing? Is it possible that the adrenaline binds to something which makes it impervious to the process? Please answer the questions clearly and give reasons.

There are many things which are driving me crasy, this is just one which I must solve so that I can continue to take my medication. That is why I am asking it here! I'm really going mad someone out there please *delete me*

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 02:57:14 AM »
Discussion about drugs is very limited by forum rules

this is just one which I must solve so that I can continue to take my medication.

And as Bill already wrote, this is exactly a thing that we can't help you with.

Unless you are diagnosed with elevated levels of adrenaline, you have no reason to worry about. Even if the adrenaline is present in the gelatin, it is there only in very minute quantities, probably much lower than that already present in your body. And if you are diagnosed, you should consult your doctor, not us.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links