March 29, 2024, 11:37:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ICP-OES data treatment: correcting for dilution and inweight to get concentratio  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Compaq

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Hi,

Let's say the ICP-OES software gives me a concentration of 186,49 ppm (mg/L) of Mn. I diluted the acid digested sample to 14.2 mL. I weighed in 10.17 mg of the powder I analyzed. I need to calculate the actual concentration.

It is quite logical in my head what I need to do: multiply by diluted volume and divide by inweight. However, I don't understand my units.

When I multiply 186.49 mg/L with 0.0142 L, I get 22,648 mg. When I then divide this by 10.17 mg, I end up with 0.260. But this is unitless. How do I know what unit I have? I thought I converted the w/V concentration to w/w by this procedure, but the units does not follow.

I am sure there is an easy answer to this question, but I have looked at it for too long to get any wiser!

I would appreciate any help.
Anders

PS I just realized something. If I ended up with a ratio (not sure what kind of ratio), then I think I understand. 0.26 would then represent 26 %, meaning my sample contains 26 % Mn. But how would I get this to an w/w expression, such as mg/kg, or g/kg?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:34:40 AM by Compaq »

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
1) what's the physical dimension of [weight]/[weight]? -> dimensionless!
2) conversion: kg/kg = g/g = mg/mg = 1000 mg/g etc....

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
When I multiply 186.49 mg/L with 0.0142 L, I get 22,648 mg.

One '2' too much.

When I then divide this by 10.17 mg, I end up with 0.260. But this is unitless. How do I know what unit I have? I thought I converted the w/V concentration to w/w by this procedure, but the units does not follow.

As Irlanur already wrote, w/w is unitless - so it is just a fraction of the original sample. Multiply by 100% and you will get % unit.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links