April 20, 2024, 11:13:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Na2CO3 +Na2SO4 + CaCl2 quantitative estimation  (Read 3699 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Na2CO3 +Na2SO4 + CaCl2 quantitative estimation
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
Given a mixture of Na2CO3 + Na2SO4 + CaCl2 as solids what would be a good way to differentially estimate the three?

Doesn't need to be too accurate. 5% accuracy would be fine.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Na2CO3 +Na2SO4 + CaCl2 quantitative estimation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:14:29 AM »
There's probably some fancy reagent based method, but the most direct analytical way would be ICP-MS or ICP-AES. Calcium and sodium are simple. Sulfur is tricky but doable. I think EPA has ICP-based methods validated for sulfate quantification in drinking water.

You might be able to get at carbonate by TGA because carbonates are susceptible to thermal decomposition (so are nitrates for that matter), but I think the temperature for sodium carbonate is extremely high, maybe over 1000 C. If you could do some kind of ion exchange and make everything calcium, TGA would be a piece of cake to determine the carbonate content.

You could also probably get at the carbonate content by treatment with acid. So, maybe you could get the easy CaCl2 content by ICP-MS and then measure the volume of CO2 liberated when treated with sulfuric acid or something. 
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:25:15 AM »
Thanks very much @corribus.

PS. An ICP-MS is fancy enough for me. :) I'll probably look for an outside lab to do it using ICP-MS. I was wishfully thinking there was an old-school titration based method.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:52:49 AM »
Calcium with EDTA, carbonate with HCl, whatever is left is sodium sulfate?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »
Calcium with EDTA, carbonate with HCl, whatever is left is sodium sulfate?

Elegant. I will try this. It ought to suffice for our purposes.

Thanks @Borek.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:21:45 AM »
I am not sure it is so easy. If this mixture gets wet Calcium carbonate and Calcium sulfate will precipitate depending of there solubility. The solution mainly containing sodium chloride, but also small amount of sulfate and carbonate. Most Calcium is precipitated.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:34:04 AM »
Good point. However, whether it will interfere or not depends on the initial composition. To be sure you can go for backtitration for carbonates (using excess HCl and boiling the solution to make sure you got rid of CO2, then titrating with NaOH).

While calcium sulfate has low solubility, its saturated solution is around 0.007 M, and can be easily titrated with EDTA. Unless you have a huge excess of sulfate it should be not a problem.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links