April 26, 2024, 05:13:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxicams Enolic Acid  (Read 10781 times)

Harold77

Oxicams Enolic Acid
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:28:05 AM »
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about enolic acid... more specifically the structure? information seems very hard to come by. I know it is what the oxicam family of NSAIDs are derived from... i think... any help would be appreciated.

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
Re:Oxicams Enolic Acid
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:14:47 AM »
Enolic acid are a group of FANS (non steroidal antiinflammatory). They react with COX 1 as well as COX 2 (which is not a constitutive enzyme but peculiar of the inflammatory phenomenon).
The key factor is that they are weak acids, extremely weaker than, say, aspirin or ibuprofen. This means they give less gastric problems.

We can divide enolic acids in two groups, according to their structures: in the former we have phenylbutazone, oxyphenylbutazone, feprazone and sulfinpyrazone. In the latter (aka OXICAMS), there are: piroxicam, isoxicam, tenoxicam and meloxicam.

If you need, I can post pictures from both groups in order to stress the differences and similarities.

Harold77

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 03:37:31 AM »
pictures please?

Harold77

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 03:42:04 AM »
i thought they enolic acids were used to create Meloxcaim and the rest... that is that Meloxicam was derived from an enolic acid.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 03:53:35 AM »
Ok, here we are.

What has to be highlighted is, in my opinion, the pyrazolidindione in the phenylbutazone and the benzothiazine in the oxicams.

Sponsored Links