April 16, 2024, 01:51:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodine  (Read 10582 times)

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
Iodine
« on: March 30, 2006, 05:36:43 PM »
What can I do with 99.9% pure iodine?
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re:Iodine
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 06:21:04 PM »
It makes a nice element sample.  I have 10 g in a sealed glass bottle, and if I heat it up a bit, I get a pretty purple vapor, which then condenses as crystals on the bottle walls.

You can use I2 to disinfect water.  I have used it this way during backpacking trips, as stream water is not safe without treatment.

It makes a very dark blue complex with starch.

You can make iodide ion with a reducing agent (e.g. vitamin C, thiosulfate, sulfite).  Add lead (II) ion to that to get a nice yellow precipitate.  Or add copper (II) and the iodide will reduce copper and you get a precipitate of copper (I) iodide.

I think there are experiments reacting it with metals, (exothermic!), I haven't done these myself.

Generally, the stuff is kind of a pain because it leaks out of most containers and gets brown stains on everything.

Offline Kenichi

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:29:29 PM »
I too have been looking into what interesting things one can do with iodine as I've recently learned to extract it from the iodine tincture you can buy at drugstores.  As for the reaction with metals mentioned by Mark. An aqueous solution of sodium, zinc, manganese, iron, nickel or aluiminum (there are probably others) with iodine will give some very violent and visualy pleasing results.  Was messing around in lab the other night and decided to test it out.  You can take powdered aluminum or just aluminum foil and then drop some I2 crystals on top of it.  By simply adding a drop of water or two it will cause the aluminum (or any of the others) and the iodine to burst into purple flames. Note: highly exothermic. Very impressive.  Do this only in a well ventilated area where the iodine fumes won't bother your lungs or eyes.  
Honor is what you know of yourself. Reputation is what others think they know about you. Live by honor and let your reputation lie where it may. And outlive the bastards.

One day I will rule the world with my army of a mole of moles!

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 04:02:59 PM »
Also if you try what Kenichi says don't go overboard and use large amounts. Start small. I've learnt that with a variety of things.

I know of some interesting things to do with Iodine, but I'm not at liberty to say them. You could try making Iodic acid (HIO3). This could be useful for making Iodine salts.

I read about a reaction where after dissolving KI into water you bubble Cl2 through it. This yields Iodic acid though and KCl I think.

Jdurg wrote an article on Sodium Iodide.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?op=articles;id=22
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:08:13 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Z-Malti

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 04:24:07 AM »
I've recently learned to extract it from the iodine tincture you can buy at drugstores. 
Tincture of Iodine is 3% elemental iodine in ethanol. Extracting it will surely produce few amounts of iodine.
As to what you should do with iodine you can make reactions with metals and you could also make nitrogen triiodide with it which is a contact explosive (which is harmless in small amounts.)  [edited] *we cannot post procedures for preparing explosives here * - hmx9123
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 03:58:46 AM by hmx9123 »

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:17:32 AM »
Passing Cl2 through an iodide solution won't result in iodic acid, it will result in the more reactive halogen (I.E Cl) displacing the less reactive one and yielding elemental iodine.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »
Tincture of Iodine is 3% elemental iodine in ethanol.

It also contains KI (or NaI).

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 10:07:54 PM »
Passing Cl2 through an iodide solution won't result in iodic acid, it will result in the more reactive halogen (I.E Cl) displacing the less reactive one and yielding elemental iodine.

I read in The Golden Book of Chemistry Expirements. Maybe I miss read it or confused it. I can't find the .pdf on my computer. It dissapeared for some reason. Your probably right then. I know that the Cl will displace the I because of reactivity.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re: Iodine
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 04:19:03 AM »
What can I do with 99.9% pure iodine?

Sell it :P  Looks like 50 g goes for about 20 bucks nowadays.  Just depends if your bottle is sealed or not ;)

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
Re: Iodine
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 09:18:14 AM »
Thanks for everything. Now I will find some iodine and do some stuff with it!

Pierre.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Sponsored Links