April 19, 2024, 03:34:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Increase Yield for sterically hindered phenol  (Read 10160 times)

Offline darkdevil

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Increase Yield for sterically hindered phenol
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »
Hi, this is the problem I am facing now. Suppose I can do a 100% conversion with 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde as starting material under this Williamson type reaction. But with R = two bromines, the conversion dropped to 24%.  I am trying to change the solvent to DMSO and the base to NaOH and add a little PTC to see if it works.. I just wonder if there are any other ways to increase the yield? or this is dead-end ? :( Thank you so much!!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Increase Yield for sterically hindered phenol
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:43:11 AM »
I don't have specific experience with the Williamson ether synthesis.  But what if you did a Finkelstein reaction to change bromide into iodide, so that you have a better leaving group?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »
Just looking at the conditions, I'd wonder if you are getting elimination because the reaction is heated. Besides adding iodide ion as a catalyst, I'd run the reaction at room temperature. I agree with changing from potassium carbonate, which I presume is not too soluble.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
What about doing ether synthesis 1st and then brominate?

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
100% conversion.....NOT LIKELY!!!!!
      -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 11:53:53 AM »
Try potassium carbonate in acetone at reflux.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 04:17:37 AM »
What about doing ether synthesis 1st and then brominate?

I tried, the reaction did not proceed well and it is hard to separate and purify

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 04:19:27 AM »

I am trying this now.
And the DMSO/NaOH method I tried yesterday did not give me any product as monitored from TLC after 18 hours of heating and even with PTC added.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 05:04:55 AM »
Try silver carbonate? It should activate the alkyl bromide towards attack...

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:18:36 AM »

I am trying this now.
And the DMSO/NaOH method I tried yesterday did not give me any product as monitored from TLC after 18 hours of heating and even with PTC added.

Hi, I tried refluxing with potassium carbonate in acetone. There were no product given
I am wondering if using potassium carbonate in DMF and add a little potassium iodide would help?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
Orgopete suggested iodide as a catalyst, and I had previously suggested doing a halogen-exchange.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
Iodide would help, but so would knowing what is happening. Is the reaction going slowly which is what 24% yield might indicate, or are side products increasing? It would not be surprising to find elimination competing with the more hindered phenol. Elimination also increases with heating. How do you know when to stop the reaction? Did  the 24% yield correspond with a 70% recovery of starting material? Is the challenge to suppress side reactions?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline darkdevil

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 05:33:45 AM »
Iodide would help, but so would knowing what is happening. Is the reaction going slowly which is what 24% yield might indicate, or are side products increasing? It would not be surprising to find elimination competing with the more hindered phenol. Elimination also increases with heating. How do you know when to stop the reaction? Did  the 24% yield correspond with a 70% recovery of starting material? Is the challenge to suppress side reactions?

I think side product is increasing through time.
I tried DMF, K2CO3 at 168 degrees celsius. In the first 38 minutes, I saw my product coming out in TLC. And after 1 day the product spot in TLC dropped.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
I'm guessing the aldehyde cannot withstand the beating. This is what I would try. I'd use KOtBu as base with KI catalyst in DMF under an inert atmosphere. Everything should be soluble so I'd start the reaction at room temp. I'd monitor the disappearance of the bromide by GC. You should see how fast it is converted to iodide and if elimination or other reactions are occurring. You might want to use an internal standard for this.

I'd watch to see what was happening. Then I'd slowly heat the reaction to 50-60C. Repeat, heat higher, etc. you may find that heating results in a second set of side reactions that you didn't see before heating. If the reaction is proceeding, you can judge how much heat you can tolerate to get your product and not have it disappear.

I don't know whether economics is an issue here or not, but the kinetics are concentration dependent. I'd try to increase the concentrations and I'd use as large of an excess of the bromide as I could. Hypothetically, it can be recycled.

On the practical side, you could set up the reaction and then split it into aliquots that you heat at different temperatures. If you wanted to get really careful, I'd distill my solvents and keep them under an inert atmosphere to keep oxidation of the aldehyde to a minimum.

You could try DMSO, but I don't know if it would oxidize the bromide.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »

Can anyone tell me if this works? It seems like a way to make mesityl oxide. Does that not happen?

Sponsored Links