April 23, 2024, 05:29:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Esterification from salt  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Ingeniosuccinimide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Esterification from salt
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »
Is there some method I could use to directly convert penicillin-K salt  (the cation on the scheme is wrong, if it matters at all) to alkyl ester? We have quite a good amount of salt but I have to prepare an ester.

If I have to hydrolize the salt first, which acid or reagent should I use to push the salt out and get the acid (the acidic form of this penicillin has pKa≈2.8 )?

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Esterification from salt
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:59:33 AM »
Any acid with lower pka will work.  I don't like using acid to make the ester.  It will cause more side reactions on the amides than base catalysis will.  I think reaction with alkyl halides or diazo compounds will give you the best results.  A lewis acid combined with the electrophile could increase yield (like crown ether with cation but opposite).  LA effectiveness may depend on the lability of the substrate though.  I am not positive, so I would like be corrected if wrong.

Offline Ingeniosuccinimide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »
I think reaction with alkyl halides or diazo compounds will give you the best results.

Diazo? Are you thinking of TMS-diazomethane, ethyl diazoacetate or something third?

A lewis acid combined with the electrophile could increase yield (like crown ether with cation but opposite).

Can you give some example?

Offline phth

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »
Yes, TMS-CH-N2 etc.  Here are some examples using LA (mild condition) to form the ester http://www.organic-chemistry.org/synthesis/C1O/esters/transesterifications.shtm; I haven't looked into the lability of amides though, but I'm guessing some LA's will be better than others.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:16:37 PM by Borek »

Offline phth

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
Oops, there's an extra semicolon on the end of the link

Sponsored Links