March 29, 2024, 01:39:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for a book on synthesis  (Read 2513 times)

Offline asmcriminal

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Looking for a book on synthesis
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:08:43 PM »
Hello,

We did an experiment in lab. We did a bromination of stilbene.  As most of who have taken ochem know there are a lot of reactions. I am looking for a book that specifically states how to actually carry out the reactions.

For example the stilbene, we added the stilbene, ethanol, hydrogen peroxide and HBr in to a round bottom and did a reflux. The H2O2 reacted with the HBr to produce Br2 gas which brominized the stilbene.

When we see a reaction like HBr + H2O2 ------> Br2 + 2H2O. My initial instinct is just to mix them in a beaker, but obviously that wouldn't work, you need to do it in a reflux.

For most of the reaction in ochem, I am looking for a book that describe "HOW TO" carry out the reactions. Is there anything like that, any recommendations?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Looking for a book on synthesis
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:49:52 AM »
Look for a copy of
Vogel's Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry
everything you will need is in there.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline asmcriminal

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
Thanks, I have the book, It's a great book it has a lot of stuff. But it appears it doesn't have what i am looking for. I am looking for a book that specifically says how to carry out procedures in lab, Bromination, hydration, halogenation, hydrohalogenation, Halohydrination, hydrolysis , how to do these reactions for alkenes and alkynes and of course more, gringard etc..

Like a manual how to do these procedures in lab, how to set up the reactions, in lab.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
In that case I don't think such a book exists, unless you have access to Houben-Weyl, which is a massive series in several dozens of volumes.
http://www.thieme.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=820&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
Or you could try looking here by keyword search.
http://www.orgsyn.org

Or look in reaccs
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
I think looking into reaxys is your best bet. Its much faster than searching books, its free to play (well not free but universities usualy pay for the acces so.. :) ) and usualy finds many different reactions.

Orgsyn is very good, the reactions are carried out by the reviewer and his/her notes are added so its very reliable (unless they start with 500g while I need to use only 1.. (omg why they did this on such a large scale???))

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
Obviously, I don't disagree with the answers that have already been given.  However, I have sometimes found my old copy of "Reactions and syntheses in the organic chemistry laboratory" by L. F. Tietze and Th. Eicher to be useful for relatively simple reactions. 

Offline asmcriminal

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
Okay thanks everyone. I asked my professor the original question. He pretty much just told me, It's based on experience in the lab, sometimes people did the reactions you want to do, you go talk to them. Sometimes you have to make your own methods. It's like a chef cooking, It's like a chef cooking. They usually make their own recipes."

I will check the resources mentioned later, running a bit late, thanks again.

Sponsored Links