April 18, 2024, 06:44:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Step down carboxylic acid  (Read 7877 times)

Offline insertwittyname

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Step down carboxylic acid
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »
Is this an acceptable way to step down a carboxylic acid?

Offline OrgXemProf

• Mole Snacks: +17/-2
    • OrgXhemProf Home Page
Re: Step down carboxylic acid
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 03:11:40 PM »
OK. However, I can name that tune in three notes (four if you count preparation of the silver carboxylate salt):

1. Convert the acid to its silver salt (CH3CH2CO2- Ag+) and react with Br2 (i. e., Hunsdiecker reaction; proceeds via an intermediate hypohalite, which undergoes decarboxylation followed by subsequent radical combination to afford the corresponding alkyl bromide (CH3CH2Br). Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunsdiecker_reaction

2. SN2 reaction of ethyl bromide with NaOH affords ethanol

3. Oxidation of ethanol to acetic acid can be performed by using any of several reagents/conditions, e. g., KMnO4, Jones osidation, pyridinium dichromate in DMF, Heyns oxidation, ruthenium tetroxide, etc. Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidation_of_primary_alcohols_to_carboxylic_acids

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
OK. However, I can name that tune in three notes (four if you count preparation of the silver carboxylate salt):

1. Convert the acid to its silver salt (CH3CH2CO2- Ag+) and react with Br2 (i. e., Hunsdiecker reaction; proceeds via an intermediate hypohalite, which undergoes decarboxylation followed by subsequent radical combination to afford the corresponding alkyl bromide (CH3CH2Br). Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunsdiecker_reaction

2. SN2 reaction of ethyl bromide with NaOH affords ethanol

3. Oxidation of ethanol to acetic acid can be performed by using any of several reagents/conditions, e. g., KMnO4, Jones osidation, pyridinium dichromate in DMF, Heyns oxidation, ruthenium tetroxide, etc. Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidation_of_primary_alcohols_to_carboxylic_acids

This always a problem if a poster asks someone to suggest a route that was discussed in a class we did not attend.

I can describe another route the poster may not know also. The poster's route is reasonable. It may use chemistry just discussed. I wasn't in the class, so I don't know which reactions were mentioned. The Hunsdieker is a little unusual. It may have been the preferred route, but ...?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline OrgXemProf

• Mole Snacks: +17/-2
    • OrgXhemProf Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
Well, orgo, you have scored a valid point.

After having read your latest post I consulted the most current edition of a widely used undergraduate organic chemistry textbook (L. G. Wade. Jr., "Organic Chemistry", 8th Edition) wherein I find no mention of Hunsdiecker or his reaction. Ah, how soon they forget!

In the future I plan to check an undergraduate textbook before I post a potential solution to a synthetic problem just to make certain that it's fair game for students currently enrolled in an undergraduate organic chemistry course.

(Parenthetically, and in my own defense, I might mention that a description of the Hunsdiecker reaction appears in an old edition of J. E. McMurry, Organic Chemistry that's been sitting on my bookshelf for many years.)

Nevertheless... point well taken.

Offline insertwittyname

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »
Thanks for the alternative, OrgXemProf. I've read the Hunsdiecker reaction (I.L Finar, Vol1, 6th Ed), but couldn't really apply it.
And thanks also Orgopete for the point raised! have a mole point each :)

Sponsored Links